Sports Question
O.k I am 21 and I have always played sports mostly football, ice hockey, and weight lifting. It has been almost two years since playing any type of sport. I have not had decompression surgery but I do have a old and rusty vp shunt and a shiny new lp shunt. My doctor ruled out all sports. I have gained like 20 pounds and I really want to get active again. What sports can I play that are not so "dangerous" but still as much fun and challenging as football. I was captain and quarter back of my team in high schoolish. We never actually won a game but we were really good. I am tired of just sitting on the sidelines while my friends have fun.
Could I ask you why they did a vp shunt and no surgery? Also, what degree of herniation at diagnosis.  

How did they find CM?  Did you have a lot of symptoms?

Good luck to you and thank you for your post.
They did the shunts because I had severe increased intercranial pressure and I was told at this point in time surgery is too risky but is a option at a later time.

I don't remember the degree of herniation. I have it somewhere on my computer but can't find it right now. I am very forgetful.

I started having vision problems and went to the eye doctor and they found increased pressure. When they sent me to a neuroophthalmologist she told my neurologist where to look and they found CM. My biggest complaint was headaches but when they explained other symptoms to me I had those too. I have always been forgetful and have had difficultly swallowing and coordination issues which made sports difficult but not impossible. There was alot of other symptoms that made getting a diagnoses that explained them all a huge relief
Hi...the best thing u can do to be active is swimming. It is safer than contact sports...but I must advise never to swim alone.

Water arobics is also a good way to get safe exercise.

There is a staionary bike that is good too.

"selma"
I have thought about taking up swimming. I played water polo for a little bit in middle schoolish. My college has a really good swim team and I can maybe get a scholarship if I get on the team. I don't really like working out except for weight lifting which I can't do anymore but I love sports.I think it is more of the adrenaline rush I get from competition that motivates me. My apartment complex just opened a pool so I can practice at home. I have to  call my doctor first. The student with disabilities office won't let me do anything without clearance from my doctor.
Just be careful with diving in the pool.....

"selma"
My doctor said I could go swimming and do it competitively but not this year. He wants me to gradually work up to the level I would have to be at to be competitive. We did discuss the whole diving situation and I talked with the coach. Basically he said to not practice diving unless I am supervised by a trained person and that if I dive correctly It will not be dangerous. I also will be required to sign a release of information so that in an emergency the coach can contact him. I am so excited.
I am glad ur dr feels this is a safe actvitiy for u.

Good Luck and stay safe

"selma"