Chiari Malformation Community
Stitches coming through scar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Stitches coming through scar

Hi all. I know its been a while and hope everyone is doing well. I have a ? I am 9 months post op and doing very well. I just am curious, at one part of my scar I have some stitched that are coming through. I have already had an abcessed stitch at the lower part of the inscision, but these are just there. No infection.. Has this happened to anyone?

Excuse my denseness here but how do you have stitches after 9 months? Your stitches have long since dissolved or been removed, yes? Am I misunderstanding something?

Jen
I had internal stitches, that do not dissolve. And on the outside I had glue.

Sorry, y would the internal stitches not dissolve?...I am confused as I had the same as u, the glue....but I did not have stitches come out....

Are u sure it is not ingrown hair?...That does happen a lot close to the scar. hmmmm

I am not doubting u, just wondering if it may be something else?

"selma"
I was just reading up on this a little. Apparently if you are allergic the stitches can force themselves out instead of dissolving.. They are clear so its not hair. I am going to make an appt with the dr. From what I am reading they just either clip them down or have to open the area and re-stitch using something else.. THey may have been there for a while and I may never have realized it because of the way my hair grows ( I thought that it what it was at first too, but its not) we will see

Do u have Ehlers-Danlos too?...is that y ur Dr used Glue?

This is very interesting....thanks for the update of info...and do keep us posted : )

"selma"
Selma, I dont know. I have asked my Primary about it and she says no, but I dont know what testing is involoved or how they tell. My NS used the glue because me insicion was so long, she said it decreased the risk of infection, and it looks "prettier" lol

I will PM u a link to some info on  EDS and how u can begin to determine if u have it.....

hmmm, I have not heard that reason given b4, especially since the scar will be hidden by the hair...

"selma"
As for me my NS ended up using muslin to cover my inner support and he told me the inside stitches will always be there.  This is one thing that is always on my mind because what if they did come loose.  He said your skin tissue does grow over them, but they are always there.  It's interesting to hear about the glue stitch.  I have never heard of that for a zipper head like us. LOL
I have dissolvable stitches, how long does it take for the stitches to dissolve.

Hi...I would imagine like everything else we may be a little diff on the time line for these, but I would think around the same time they normally would be removing them...2 weeks?

I did not have stitches or staples so I am not a big help with this one...sorry, I had sterri strips and glue....

U may want to post a new thread here like u did in the back and neck forum so it is more readily seen and replied to.
Huskergirl1 joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 28
selmaS commented on selmaS's status
Sep 17