Surgery Scheduled with Dr. Coumans
I'm finally doing it!  Surgery is scheduled with Dr. Coumans on Nov. 2.  Am trying not to think about it and am hoping I am one of the lucky ones that gets good results.  I would love to hear from anyone who had surgery with Coumans or Heilman (debating on using him as well). Thanks for all of the info!

Congrats on getting a surgical date....post it on the surgery date thread so we have it for a prayer thread...and do have someone post updates on ur progress : )

I know we have had others that had Dr Heilman, not familiar with the other name ...or I just am not remembering it.

Good Luck
Congrats on getting a surgery date.  Did you see both Dr Coumans and Dr Heilman?  I have an upcoming apt with Dr Heilman.  What was your experience with him (if you saw him) and why did you opt to go with Dr Coumans?  I've heard amazing things about Dr Heilman and he was trained by a world renowned NS in Germany.  I am feeling like he's my only hope right now.  Cannot wait for my apt!
Good luck to you with whatever you decide!
Did you have your appointment yet?  My surgery is in two weeks! Terrified!
I'm glad you're moving forward and pray you get good results!  I did see Dr Heilman.  It was a very pleasant experience....very nice man who actually listened and finally confirmed what I've been saying - I do have chiari but am one of those difficult cases where the herniation is minimal (3 mm) so he doesn't seem to believe all my sx could be from that. However, he ordered the cine-MRI for me. I'm having it on 10/11 - I can't wait b/c I'm convinced I have an obstruction.  Dr Heilman is extremely conservative and doesn't jump into surgery quickly. He told me even if I have obstruction he still likes to watch and wait..... I have to sit in a recliner half the day b/c of the pressure at the base of my skull and spinal cord and sx have worsened drastically...I can't keep waiting!  I also didn't get the feeling that he's a true chiari specialist as he made comments about not believing that EDS and TCS are related to chiari.  I feel like he's just a step along my journey to get help. I'm grateful to have finally gotten validation about having chiari and to be getting the cine- but I'm afraid I need to keep looking for a true chiari specialist to have surgery.
Best of luck to you.  I hope you are one that gets great results too!!!
Di