Chiari Malformation Community
Surgery during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Surgery during pregnancy

This may seem like a nobrainer question to most of you, but I honestly don't know. My wife was diagnosed with CM1 over two years ago. After 2 years of struggling with her neurologist to manage the pain I lost my job in December. I finially got called back to work last week (5 1/2 months off). We had found a doctor that agreed to do the surgery once my insurance starts back up. BUT, now there is a new development. We found out today that she is 11 weeks pregnant with twins. I guess I really have two questions. First, what kind of effect will the pregnany have on the CM1 and visa-versa? Second, what effect will the CM1 have on the pregnancy? After typing all of this, I think I answer my original question myself. That would be... is it possible to have decompression surgery while pregnant? I seriously doubt it, but I'll still ask.

Thank you in advance for any input,
                Scott & Nicole
Congrats on the twins!  WOW!  How wonderful!!!  As for your question, I think I would first ask my gyn his/her opinion, then talk to the anesthetist, then finally consult with your ns.  I have heard that some womens chiari symptoms go away completely during pregnancy, but can cause more problems during childbirth due to the trama the body naturally goes thru during labor.  Perhaps, since she is symptomatic, a c-section would be the best alternative...  How is she feeling right now, symptom wise?  Has she noticed an increase/decrease in her symptoms in the past 11 weeks?

I was fortunate in that I was asymtomatic when I was younger and had no problems at all through out and including delivery, which was natural all the way.  I might suggest not stressing out about it (easier said than done, I know) until you have the opinions of all the Drs involved with Nicoles care.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!
Elizabeth
Hi and welcome to the chiari forum.

There is a great resource for chiarians that r pregnant, she is Diane Mueller she co-wrote books on the subject along with Dr Oro.

She states that a C-section is preferred for those with chiari to help lessen the changes of the strain of pushing causing more symptoms and issues for the mom.

I had no idea that I had chiari when I had my DD and I was in the hospital 5 days bcuz I developed a CSF leak and the awful headaches that accompany that....
The pain and issues I had may or may not have been chiari related, but now that I do know it fills in a lot of blanks for issues I had back then.

Blessings to ur family and a safe delivery for the twins : )

"selma"
Congratulations on the pregnancy to both of you, children are a blessing, I work for an OB and from my work this is what I know. 1. they do not like to put pregnant women under general anesthesia. 2. surgery is typically only done in life threatening circumstances for pregnant women, so it would depend on your wife's symptoms this is because of an increased risk to both mom and babies especially if blood loss occurs. also depending on how quickly she can or can't get in may cause a problem because the surgery is completed with patients on there stomachs. I would definitely check with your ob and the ns but definitely don't get your hopes up. Sorry if that sounds blunt but just trying to be straightforward.
Well congratulations!! This is a scary but wonderful time I'm sure...

I had 3 kids all b4 I knew I had CM but I do feel like the strain of having them did help cause the symptoms to appear (and I had all 3 by csection). I am sure that csection is safer b/c you don't have the straining that goes along with natural birth but the you have to balance that with the fact she will have to have a spinal tap. For that part  I would speak to all the maternity drs involved and get their opinion AND I would get the opinion of a Chiari specialist as well.

As for surgery while pregnant, not one I can answer either but b/c a twin pregnancy is a higher risk pregnancy as is..I am wondering if they wouldn't want to wait until after.

One thing I have seen is that many Chiari patients post and pre op have had successful pregnancys and deliveries. I really hope that your wife's symptoms settle down long enough to enjoy the pregnancy and the birth of your children but that she also gets the treatment she needs.

Good luck to the both of you!
Carolyn