Surgery for CM and Syrinx
I just found out I have a syrinx (not sure of the size) and CM which may or not have been result from a car accident. My neurologist is recommending me to a neurosurgeon, and says its up to him whether or not I need surgery. I am 21 years old, how common is surgery for this issue? Is it the only form of treatment? Do you think he'll recommend surgery? Also, what is the recovery time like? Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It all depends on how this is affecting u, health wise and symptoms....if the NS will feel u r a surgical candidate.Most times the formation of a syrinx is a good indication u have  a CSF blockage, which is main reason to move forward with surgery.

Surgery is the only option to treat chiari and help shrink the syrinx...more room is needed in the  area of the cerebellum...bone is chipped away, and a good chiari NS knows just how much or little to remove to avoid another condition cerebral ptosis...also known as brain slump....

Getting the right dr is very important-http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/LIST-OF-CHIARI-SPECIALISTS/show/1293483
Use this list to help u research drs ...know u may have to travel....but having the right dr is  like I said very important....

Recovery time is an individual thing, just as our symptoms r...we all respond diff to the meds and surgery.....so it is hard to say, but it can take 2 yrs to heal completely...how soon post op u feel up to going back to "normal" routines is as individual as u r.

As for if ur chiari is congenital or acquired the NS can tell u that as well.....but even those with congenital chiari a MVA can trigger symptoms to flare making it more noticeable.

May I ask how long ago ur accident was?...

We r happy to have u join us, but not happy with the reasons that bring u.

"selma"
Thanks for the response. My MVA was Nov of 2010. The MRI, not that I really knew what I was looking at, but when he pointed out the syrinx there didnt look to be much room from the cyst itself and my spinal cord so i have a feeling he'll recommend surgery.

Is there a chance that he won;t if there is a syrinx present? Or is the presence of a syrinx a reason to have surgery? Also, will they just drain cyst or try to fix the CM?

The fact u have a syrinx, surgery is more an option that a wait and see...I had surgery bcuz I had a CSF obstruction...which left untreated can lead to the formation of a syrinx, so they do surgery to help prevent the syrinx from forming, they will do surgery to help reduce it too!!

Doing the PFD surgery for chiari can cause the syrinx to shrink....if left untreated the syrinx can continue to grow and possibly cause perm nerve damage...u do not want that to happen.

And  PDF  surgery like ne other surgery has it's risks too....so u need to be prepared and well informed....and have the right dr guiding u.

"selma"
Thanks. I'll update what the NS says on tuesday
Went to the NS, he says I need surgery sooner than later, and that it was caused by the Chiari Malformation and not the accident. I need to do another MRI (with contrast?) to see if it could have been trauma induced.

Also, i have two syrinx. one (50.8 mm long, 5 mm wide) is in the middle of the cervical region and the other in the t-section which the mri didnt capture all of, so we dont know how big that one is.

Hi...and do u have a NS u r comfortable with?....what symptoms r u experiencing at present?

2 syrinx's.....so that means u most likely have a CSF obstruction and y the drs feel ur issues r chiari related and not a result of the accident as it can take time for a syrinx to form and it sounds like the 2 u have r on the bigger side.

Getting the additional MRI's will help find out more of how large ur syrinx's r and what all they r affecting .

"selma"