Surgery for Chiari type I - opinions?
Hi, can anyone please share their opinions and experiences with surgery for Chiari malformation type I? I've been experiencing severe headaches and RLS for some time, and recently I've been diagnosed with Chiari. I was told that if left untreated it could lead to paralysis, and as far as treatment goes surgery is pretty much the only option. I did some research and came across several opinions that the effectiveness of those surgeries is questionable in cases similar to mine, and sometimes they can result in permanent damage. I understand my choices are limited, but I would like to find out roughly what's the likelihood of success.
Please share your experiences - positive or negative - with such surgeries, especially if your case is similar to mine (I'm a 45yo female with otherwise clean health history) - any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Many of the members here have a journal of their surgical experience, u may want to check out the journals for this info.

And b4 u consider surgery make sure u have the right Dr and ALL related conditions were ruled out.

Do u have a syrinx? or a CSF obstruction? ....
My experience is a good one.  My surgery went fine.  I  am a 46 year old male, that had a pretty health life.  The biggest thing was sinus.  So when they told me that I had this it was a shock.  I just didn't have Chiari, I had a basliar invaganation and two henatied disc also. So mine was a little different.  I had the fusion done and then a fusion done on my hernatied disc.  I am back to work and able to drive.  The only thing I can not do that I was doing before is lift over 50 LBS and use my steeping stool.  Wife is afraid that I maight fall.  But I don't need it I am 6'2".  So this is a postive story and I hope this helps.  But like Selma said it all depends on the doctor and make sure everything is ruled out and the biggest thing is you.  It all depends if you are going to let this be your boss or are you going to be its boss.