Surgery on neck
I have chari malformation and going to have surgery for it what will it be like after the surgery?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

There is no way to say what ur experience will be like...we r all different and so will ur recovery.....

May I ask what symptoms u have had so far?...do u have a chiari specialist?

What type surgery r u going to have, will u have a dura patch, if so what type...do u have other chiari related conditions?

I am sorry if that was a  lot to ask all at once but , This will all affect ur recovery,...

U need to rule out a syrinx in the cervical , thoracic and lumbar spine, tethered cord, sleep apnea, PTC, Ehlers-Danlos,CSF obstruction and overcrowding.......

many of hte members here have a jouranl with their own surgical journey posted...please feel free to read those for insight.

"selma"
Why rule out sleep apnea?  I have sleep apnea.
I don't think you necessarily have to rule it out , or that you can't have surgery... Selma is just saying it will effect your outcome, and it can cause addtitional symptoms.  A lot of chiarians have sleep apnea.... a lot of chiarians also have csf obstruction, overcrowding, ehlers danlos, etc, in fact, it is some criteria for surgery.. I do not think she meant that you had to rule it out to as means to not have surgery.. just to see where you were getting symptoms from, and what symptoms would resolve from surgery... what extra steps you would need to take.. ie.. in the case of ehlers danlos, you need to be extra careful of spinal leak and some docs wont use staples... things like that...

it is one more thing u should be aware of just in case u were not...as it could pose some  post op issues if u did not know in advance.

Having the above conditions and not knowing can affect ur recovery such as if u had EDS and did not know and had a dura patch u could have an issue with rejection....so it is best to find out b4 u go into surgery and have this post op issue....that way u can avoid issues.

And yes, with EDS ur skin is more fragile so they use glue and steri strips not stitches or staples...plus, if u have EDS ur recovery will take longer as we heal slower.

"selma"