Swallowing issues
OK so my NS wants a swallow study, which I have scheduled.  I was beginning to think it would be a waste of time, then this morning I had another episode where I gagged on my own saliva to the point where I couldn't breathe. I can't even cough, it's very scary.  This is the same thing that has happened in the past and is why my NS wants the test.  

My question to the group - any history of swallowing issues? If so, does this sound similar?  Does it sound Chiari related?  It doesn't happen often, maybe 2-3 times a month.

I have been getting comfortable with the idea of not having surgery however I know that if something shows up on the test it may increase the odds that I will.  However, since this seems to happen at random times and not very often, will the test show anything if it doesn't happen during the test?  

Hi...sorry to say, but yes, I also had the swallow study done....be sure to drink plenty of water after u get home to flush all the barium out, as it is a heavy metal contrast and u need to get it out.....

This  is a chiari issue, and many others have been thru this as well......

I did not have an issue during the test, so the Drs that administered the test said I did not have an issue....but, even laughing resulting in me gagging... I also had vocal cord paralysis....while singing  nothing sound wise would come out and my throat  had a strange sensation.....

The problem with this being a neuro issue and not a muscle issue it is hard to dx and see with a test set to dx a muscle  issue.

"selma"
I had a similiar incident b/for I had my decompression surgery.  Didn't have anything to do with Chairi, but I thought I would share.  I also was having swallowing issues.  Also when I went to sing,  (which not very good) lol...I couldn't get to the high note.  Any way pcp sent me to a Throat specialist and they acturally found a lump on my vocal cord.  Just a freak accident that they found it, but also show's persistant pay's off. The throat dr told me if we didn't find it.  I could of develeoped cancer...Out it came.  Couldn't talk for 4 day's.  Husband loved it. LOL...I was talking to an ICU nurse,  I was telling her about this incident...She said that we with Chairi have to look at the BIG picture of how every thing works in our bodies. I'm not a dr, or in the medical profession so I didn't know a lot about the body.  Learning as I go.,..but any way.  look at the big picture of what makes your mouth, throat, swollowing etc work's.  It all has to do with the brain, and muslcle that go around our neck which help's with swolling. I now after having surgery have issue's with the roof of my mouth feel's raw at times.  Weird, but was told it was nerve damage.  Nothing can be done.  So as for your swallowing.  I'm glad to hear your going to get it checked out.  Better safe than sorry.  Just wanted to share my story and I hope how I explained the conversation with the nurse will help you understand.  It did for me.  Every thing will be o.k.   Let us know what happens at your visit's.
I had trouble swallowing before my surgery. It wasn't really with my own saliva, but it was with meats and things like that. I had to, pretty much, chew them into a liquid in order to get them to go down. That is a lot of chewing.

Of course, like with most of the symptoms I had with this, my husband thought I was making it up, and still does. He thinks I used it as an excuse to get surgery, but that is another rant.
I've had some problems but nothing as major as what you've described.  My family dr. has ordered 2 different tests and nothing showed up.  I'm having an endoscopy and colonoscopy this Wednesday (yeah, Merry Christmas to me!) to rule out other problems.  I've never had surgery either.  
Yep struggled so much to swallow everything- saliva, tablets, everything! I lost a very dangerous amount of weight and had to be fed through my stomach to get fluid into my system.

Has improved since surgery but still struggle with meat - takes a lifetime to chew up!