Chiari Malformation Community
Syringomyelia Surgery/Recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Syringomyelia Surgery/Recovery

I've been doing a little research regarding surgeries for SM.  And I can't find any info on full recoveries.

After you have surgery to improve the flow of fluid, have a tumor removed, a shunt placed, or whatever you require are there any instances where your syrinx will disappear and you go back to being 100%??

Maybe I am just dreaming, but I am wanting to get my life back.

Let me know what you know!

Thanks :)
I don't have a syrinx, but this has been one of my concerns about Chiari.  To think it may never fully go away is very depressing.  However, I think it's important to realize something about the internet:  People who are feeling good don't sit on their butt all day in front of a computer posting information on medical forums.  They go outside and ENJOY life.  Sure, there's some people that are fully recovered that will continue to support Chiari/Syringomyelia sufferers, but many will go on with their lives.

So while you see many people who have had surgery and are still having problems, keep in mind that there are plenty of people you're not seeing.

Hi...refresh my memory...do u have chiari too?...sorry I can't remember....

But if it is just a syrinx, a shunt is only used if the syrinx is of a size where it  is compressing nerves  which if left untreated could lead to perm nerve damage.

If u also have chiari, usually the PFD surgery for chiari will restore flow of the CSF and allow the syrinx to shrink....

Like nething, this is an individual thing as to who feels better, gets better or develops other issues post op.....

I am not sure neone will ever be 100%...chiari and syringomyelia r life altering conditions....surgery is to help slow progression and restore CSF flow....if a Dr says they can cure u....RUN!!

"selma"
Below I pasted in the best info I could find on a website, regarding treatment for just a syrinx, no chiari.  From what I read there, the shunt would be a last approach.  So yes Selma, I only have the syrinx.

I was just wondering after reading all this, if they operate at the site of my injury (tailbone), is it possible that when they make the extra room for the fluid, could my syrinx collapse and never again cause me troubles??  I'm guessing not, because everything I read says it is incurable and will come back over time.

In the case of trauma-related syringomyelia, the preferred surgical approach is to operate at the level of the initial injury to expand the space around the spinal cord and decrease fluid volume.  This operation is performed outside the spinal cord.  An alternate operation is to place a shunt in the syrinx, which requires a hole to be made in the spinal cord.  Shunts may injure the spinal cord and may require replacement if they clog over time.  Many surgeons now consider shunt placement only as a last resort.  Instead, surgeons usually choose to expand the space around the spinal cord.  This is done by removing scar tissue that “tethers” the cord in place and prevents the free flow of CSF around it, and adding a patch to expand the “dura,” the membrane that surrounds the spinal cord and contains the CSF (a procedure called expansive duraplasty).  In some cases, the vertebrae may need to be realigned to correct spinal deformity that is narrowing the spinal column.
Many spinal cord-injured individuals have a cyst at the site of the original injury.  These cysts do not always require treatment, although treatment may be warranted if a cyst grows larger or begins to cause symptoms.
Drugs have no curative value as a treatment for syringomyelia but may be used to ease pain.  Radiation is used rarely and is of little benefit except in the presence of a tumor.  In these cases, it can halt the extension of a cavity and may help to alleviate pain.
In the absence of symptoms, syringomyelia is usually not treated.  In addition, a physician may recommend not treating the condition in individuals of advanced age or in cases where there is no progression of symptoms.  Whether treated or not, many individuals will be told to avoid activities that involve straining.

I understand u r not getting enuff info on the shunts them self...I do have an article on shunts in my journal...just click on my name...u can read about them...I am not sure , it has been a while since I read the article so I am not sure if it will answer ur questions or not.

Basically it mentions diff types of shunts where they r placed.....

The other thing u want to research is the type of patch they will use for the duraplasty.....some people have a higher risk of rejection , so some Drs will harvest skin from the pt to use, this was done for me, I have not had ne issues with my patch so far.

"selma"