Chiari Malformation Community
Thursday's Recipe Trade ~~~~~

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Thursday's Recipe Trade ~~~~~

Hi All since the terminology thread was not going over well, and we had people interested in trading recipes

I hope this thread will be more active and that we can keep in mind that we also have several trying to lose weight...lol...so do post some recipes with us in mind,....

Have fun : )

I have a weight watchers recipe....take a yellow box cake mix and add 100% packed pumpkin( not the pumpkin pie filling )

Add the 2 together, pour into muffin tins sprayed with a non stick spray.

Back at 350 approx 15 to 20 mins - depends on size of ur muffin tine and if u have gas or electric range.

U can add cinnamon or nutmeg to garnish the tops while warm....

PS- this is similar to the Chocolate pumpkin muffins I did at Christmas time
YUM Selma!  My husband loves anything pumpkin! I'll have to give this one a try once it cools down enough to turn on the oven!

I love pumpkin as well and it is a weight watchers recipe so that helps...and only 2 ingredients...perfect, I have both and plan to make some this weekend.

What ever u do,  do NOT use cup cake papers u will never get them off, only foil cups work. At Christmas I made the chocolate ones and added coconut and then used the mini muffin tins and then placed them in the paper once they were out of the pan....they were a very moist muffin...so I can not wait for this one...yum.

Here is one from Dr Oz's blog-Chocolate cake is usually a diet disaster, but it doesn’t have to be. TV host, author and "foodologist" Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien’s trick is the perfect way to shave off some unwanted calories. By using club soda instead of normal baking ingredients, you can cut out 100 extra calories per slice!

Added to Recipes on Fri 03/16/2012
Ingredients
Makes 12 Servings

1 (18.25 oz) box moist-style dark chocolate cake mix
1 (12 oz) can club soda

Directions
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, whisk cake mix with soda until smooth. Pour into the pan. Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Slice and enjoy!

Nutrition Information
171 calories
3.5g fat
301mg sodium
34g carbs
<0.5g fiber
19g sugars
1.5g protein

I made the pumpkin muffins they were yummy......

Ne one else have ne recipes to share?
Baked Tilapia! (I don't like fish, but I can eat this everyday! And it's healthy!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I use frozen Tilapia from Walmart. Defrost and rinse how ever many you want to bake. Pat dry them with a paper towel. I line a baking sheet with foil (easy clean-up!) and spray Pam on it. Coat each top of fish with 2 tsp. of Reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese and rub in until the whole top is covered. Sprinkle season on top- enough to flavor. I use Paul-Prudomme's poultry magic. Bake for 15 minutes or so, until the fish breaks when you pull it apart.

Now you have your protein with very little fats! Super easy and quick! My fiance' is a beach body coach. He recommends this to his customers!

That is one I have not tried, we eat Haddock and Salmon....but I have yet to try the Tilapia....and we use foil but we put it on the gril using a little olive oil  and  some seasoning...very good and low on fats as well ...I love this...yum
Well I took your idea, and we grilled some fish! It was red snapper on the half shell! We made a sauce to cover it, and I was thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the idea! Sometimes, I can't think of anything new to cook!

I am so glad u were able to create a new dish that u enjoyed !....Now u will have to share the ingredients for ur sauce and how u did this, how long it was on the grill etc....so someone else can give it a try : )
we made copy kat pasta e fagoli from Olive Garden. Made a ton of it. Easy enough and plenty to freeze...tho there may not be enough to, hubbys co-workers are requesting to go bowls for tomorrow!

Sounds good u have to post the recipe : )
We were going to make beans & greens but couldn't find any escarole.  I am not making it with collards!

Never heard of it....and never had collards either...lol...that is a southern thing for sure...we do not eat that up north here....lol...

Please explain just what it is.
Full disclosure:  Im not a very good cook!

Think of the toughest meat, then think of the vegetable version = collards.  I once had them cooked by a very good organic cook though, & it was delicious.  
It's traditional in NC (& I guess throughout the SE?) to eat black eyed peas & collards for the new year.
I actually make an Italian good luck New Year's dish w/lentils, carrots, & sausage.  My DH is a vegetarian, so I freeze it, & eat it until July 4th. (jk).

Beans & greens is a garlicky based Italian soup, w/white beans.  Some people use spinach or chard.  Or kale.  Jiggle (?) made me think of it when she mentioned pasta e fagioli.

One thing I miss about NY, esp on friday, is fried haddock.  Cant get that here either,  & I don't know how to duplicate it.

One thing Chiari did to me, from Day 1, was to have next to no taste buds, & thus no appetite.  Everything tasted like cardboard.  My parents always knew that there was "something" wrong w/me.  Can you imagine being Italian and not eating?!

LMAO...ok...I get the picture on collards....

U can't get the haddock or get it fried? It is funny how the diff areas of the country they eat diff things....

We went to Mass, to see Boston and they only have little breakfast sausage links.,..no other sausage....I was so upset we could not get it up there.

But I also had the change in my taste buds....things I was eating all the time I can not even stand the smell of let alone eat it ne more...not sure what or y the change....weird...

No...I can eat some things ok...and others not so much....and still I do not lose weight....I do not eat a lot....

I am not Italian, but that must be hard...
I have been able to get haddock only in the last couple years.  What does one do with all the water that comes out of it?

There is fried (or frahd, as my southern DH would say) fish, but only catfish.

I suppose, to a family, being Italian and not liking food is like being Jewish w/a kid who believes in Jesus, lol.  Or so it seemed.

LMAO....Oh my u have u laughing....lol....sigh....

Well y do u have so much water with it?...I usually bake it....put it in a pan with a little olive oil/butter, garlic and seasonings.....cover with foil and it is always so good....I have never tried frying it as I avoid fried foods....with reflux it is not a good thing to have....we have made the haddock on the grill in foil as well...
Lol! You guys crack me up! I am loving some of the new recipes. I love the chocolate cake tip. I love me some chocolate. Here's one that isn't so weight friendly, but delicious.

Baked shrimp ziti...

Take some shrimp and butterfly. soak in a lemon sauce,( take fresh squeezed lemon juice, Italian dressing lite, and a little worstichiere   and mix.) For 30 minutes. Boil the ziti. Now take tour shrimp and mix sauce and shrimp with pasta. Add some olive oil..about 2 tsp. Put in pan, preheat ovento 350. Bake for 25 minutes. Now you have a baked shrimp lemon Ziti hollandaise if sort. Really yummy and fairly easy to make. Hope you all enjoy.

Hey, I am glad we could entertain u : P

Now the Baked shrimp ziti is something I have to make when DD is home as my SIL , DD and DH all would love it....and one that I may even want to try...lol...

I am picky about what I eat....but this does not sound like nething I would not want to try.,...hmmm I will let u know.

ne new recipes?
I got this from the unmentionable MS:  bake an acorn squash, slice it crosswise into 1/2-3/4 " slices.  Cook frozen peas & put them in the slices, one per person.  It looks very pretty, keeps the peas in one place on the plate, & I found that my kids were more apt to try a molecule of squash served this way.

I suppose if you got real creative, you could have mashed potatoes in the squash, decorated w/peas.

Ne new recipes this week?
Y'all tickle me! LMAO! I am a Southern girl! From LA- that's lower Alabama Lol! And you have to have eat black-eyed peas with hog jowl or salt pork on New Years day for good luck to ensure prosperity and fortune ! You soak the peas (after rinsing and sorting them to make sure you get any dirt and rocks out of course) then you soak them overnight (some will drain and rinse them again this is a personal choice) add the hog jowl or salt pork and cook all day on low heat till ready! But the thing is you have to have fried corn bread to go with it! yummy!!!!! And collards with pepper sauce are awesome!!! Serve that up with some fried chicken and it's so good it'll make you wanna smack your granny! Lol!
It's a southern thang but let me tell you, you have no idea what your missin! :)

Hog jowl? really...sorry we do not have that up here.....lol...

Oh boy.,...and I thought pork and sauerkraut was weird....lol...J/K.......
This is a low carb recipe but is awesome! :) My whole family loves it! I don't like onions so I don't add them to the dish I am eating out of, but this is a nice quick recipe for nights when we have ball and I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off and feeling really icky, because I can saute' the chicken and then Little man loves to be the one to come in and pour the Worcestershire sauce over the chicken and then he takes the ranch dressing and carefully covers each piece of chicken..and uses a spoon to spread it so its covered..ok, he paints the chicken...Lol! but he loves to help! and its great the way he does it because you get that flavor in every bite! When its time for cheese I take it out of the oven and he carefully covers it.. with Dad or I one making sure his arm doesn't get too close to the pan! :) It's yummy and fun! Lol! And he loves to help me do stuff! :)  

Anniversary Chicken     *items are optional
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of oil (any kind you want)
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves( I prefer to use the bonless skinless breast strips)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (can use teriyaki basting sauce)
1/2 cup Ranch salad dressing (I make mine)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I use more but we like lot's of cheese)
*3 green onions, chopped
*1/2 (3 ounce) can bacon bits
*1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes each side, until lightly browned.
3. Place browned chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Brush with Worcestershire sauce (teriyaki sauce), then spoon on salad dressing.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
5. Sprinkle with cheese, *green onions and *bacon bits. Bake 10 to 15 more minutes until cheese is melted (and crispy on edges if you like it that way)
Total Baking time 25 to 35 minutes,or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Sounds yummy,...neone else have a recipe to share...I just adjusted a icing recipe to make it a peanut butter icing.....
Cuban pork
pork tenderloin
lime juice
lemon juice
orange juice
cilantro

place all ingredients in a covered dish to marinate overnight or longer.
You might want to tweak the amount of juice, depending on the size of the tenderloin.  I usually use:
1 C. orange juice
1-2 C. each of the lemon & lime

If you know how, you can reduce the juice & cilantro into a thick sauce.

I know 2 people that will love to try this one....thanks for sharing : )
I'd like to hear what the good cooks will do with it.  I tried it at Whole Foods but could never get it quite to my satisfaction.

Well my DD and SIL will be the 2 to try this as it may be to spicy and acidic for me with my reflux....but from the sounds of it they will love it <3

Hi all ne new idea's for recipes to trade for the coming holidays?

Some tasty treats that will help relieve the sweet tooth with out adding many calories ?

Hi all I am trying a new banana bread recipe today, if it is good I will share it will u....neone else have recipes for banana's...my DD brought a bunch here and left them and I need to make something fast...or freeze them...

Preheat oven to  350

Standard loaf pan takes 50 mins
  Mini loaf pans  30 mins

In  bowl combine the following -
1/2 stick of butter (4 tablespoons) softened
2 eggs
2 to 3 very ripe banana's  (I used 3)
2/3 cup sugar
Use a hand masher to mash and mix all ingredients together.

In a separate bowl mix the following-
1 1/3 cup flour
  3/4 teaspoon salt
  1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional) or nutmeg....

U can also add at this point- nuts, chocolate bits,rasins...1/2 cup (optional)

mix dry ingredients together then add the wet  ingredients with the dry ingredients until well mixed....pour into greased loaf pan.

Bake 30 to 50 mins until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Enjoy ~~~ : P
A cousin used her halloween pumpkin to make dog treats.  Probably similar to above (no chocolate for dogs though).

I have a dog treat recipe with pumpkin....I am going to make as soon as my DH gets me some cookie cutters...lol....I am going to make for  Lucy and Shelby (my sisters dog) for Christmas gifts....

Well I got my cookie cutters, but he has yet to get me the dry milk it calls for,,,,I am a little closer....lol....the set of cutters has a dog paw, a dog house, a sitting dog, and a bone...lol...
OMG, how cute!!  Where did you find that?
I recently saw some yoga position cookie cutters, but I think my DD is too frugal for that (as I am).  I'm thinking of customizing some chef's aprons, which are amazingly inexpensive, w/fabric, lace, or rickrack.  We'll see....

Here's my recipe.
me to DH:  do you know how to peel a potato?
DH:  I have once or twice.  (I roll eyes behind his back, as I taught my kids this at 8-10).
me:  do you want to learn ?  (I show him "potato peeler", which he has never seen in his entire life.  I am NOT making this up).
DH:  I'm done.
me:  Thank you SO much!  Now can you cut them up?  (I clean whole kitchen & run dishwasher while he analyzes whether they should be cut into quarters, sixths, or eighths--then decides on eighths)

I then make "smashed potatoes" w/sauteed garlic, wondering why I used to believe that I had to reduce potatoes down to their molecular structure.
I used to love fried bananas in the islands, but wanted to do them healthier. I just lightly sprayed a pan with Pam cooking spray, then sort of seared the bananas cut lengthwise. You can add honey or cinnamon after, and it melts into it. We loved them! This way, you get fried bananas, without the unhealthy fried batter!

Hi DH found them they r made  by wilton.....here is the link  to what they look like - http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2308-0910

My DH is pretty good in the kitchen and is just recently letting me cook...lol...like he is the only one capable...I did cook for yrs...but he took over all the big Holiday cooking as I was working retail and did not have it in me to do it.....

mambo those sound wonderful...my DD had them in  Uganda...and I know she likes them better then plantains... she also would order them in Guatemala....so I will try that when she is home....thanks
Ingredients
1 can rinsed and drained black beans
3 organic eggs
1/3 cup grass-fed butter, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup coconut sugar or palm sugar
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, no soy or dairy
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or vita mix blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and coconut sugar. Pulse or blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible).

Grease an 8x8-inch glass-baking dish or line a pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle.

Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done.

Cool and then chill before serving.

Store in fridge.

Hi all ne one have ne treats that fall under weight watchers?? I posted a few...just wondering if there r ne more out there?
So odd, since surgery, I lost my taste for meat & have been craving carbs--mostly potatoes & fresh bread.
I only eat because I have to.
I've been eating a lot of miso soup.
I did make shepherd's pie a couple wks ago, when it was chilly, which I actually enjoyed.

I made homemade Turkey Barley soup...it is so yummy...it has noodles and Barley so xtra carbs in it...lol...
Here is a recipe (in two separate comments, because it keeps failing to post) that I created a while ago.  It can be made as wraps or as a sit down dinner.  

Double-duty Southwest Dinner
Serves 4

Make and Go Wraps
Marinade and Meat:
2 T. paprika
2 dashes cayenne pepper
4 t. Dijon mustard
3 t. dried cilantro
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. + 2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. chicken tenders or large, raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
Bamboo skewers (soaked in water) or metal skewers, if grilling

Whisk paprika, cayenne pepper, Dijon mustard, cilantro, salt and pepper, and vinegar in a medium bowl with a tight-fitting lid.  Drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk.  Once mixed, add meat of choice to bowl.  Cover and shake.  Chill for 30 minutes to 6 hours, depending on your desired flavor strength.

Preheat grill or broiler pan to medium-high heat.  Skewer meat (if using skewers).  Grill meat until cooked through (about 4 minutes per side for chicken tenders and about 2-3 minutes per side for shrimp).  Remove from heat.  If using chicken, let rest for 5 minutes.  Then, chop into bite-size pieces.  If using shrimp, remove tails and chop in halves or thirds.

Risotto:
2 T. olive oil
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. arborio rice
1 T. tomato paste
3 c. chicken or vegetable stock (may need more, depending on how the risotto cooks)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium to medium-high heat.  Once heated, add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to skillet.  Saute for 3-5 minutes, just until softened.  Add arborio rice and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add tomato paste and stir until combined.  Stir in 1 cup of the stock.  When the stock is absorbed, add another cup.  Continue this process until the risotto is cooked through, but not overcooked.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Here's the rest of it!

Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing:
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 c. low fat or fat free sour cream
Salt
Milk, as needed, for thinning
Hot sauce (optional)

Combine cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, and salt.  Add milk to thin the dressing, if desired.  Add hot sauce to reach your desired heat level.

Wrap assembly:
Low-fat tortillas or sandwich wraps
Prepared risotto
Prepared dressing
Prepared meat of choice

Heat tortillas in a clean, dry pan, or wrap in foil and place on the grill or under the broiler.  Once warm, put a portion of the prepared risotto in the middle of the wrap.  Add chicken or shrimp on top of risotto.  Add dressing to the wrap or serve it on the side as a dipping sauce.  Wrap and enjoy!

Sit and Eat Dinner
Salad mix (optional)
All of the above ingredients (tortillas are optional)

Prepare all of the above recipes (meat, risotto, and dressing) as directed.  However, the chicken and shrimp do not have to be chopped for this preparation, if not desired.  Make a bed of risotto and place chicken or shrimp on top.  Dress the salad with the Cilantro Lime Dressing and serve the salad on the side; or, drizzle the dressing over the risotto and chicken or shrimp.  If using the tortillas, heat as directed and serve on the side in place of bread.

Thanks for adding to our recipe trade thread : )

I know my DD and SIL would love this, I have GERD and can not have those spices....but it sounds wonderful...and I know they will love to try it <3

HI all neone have recipes to share ?