Chiari Malformation Community
Time to dye the hair??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Time to dye the hair??

Hi...I guess this is more of a girly question but I am wondering if anyone knows when it is safe to dye your hair after surgery. I am now 3 months post op and completely healed (no scabbing or fluid). I put off dying my hair well before surgery so I am in dire need!!! I didn't realize how much grey hair I actually have (as my DH liked to point out last night). So I am thinking it's time to get it done...

Anyone have any ideas?

Carolyn
Hi Carolyn...I was told 6 months.....I know very hard...so I had DD only do teh roots on top and kept it all away from my scar....that was at 4.5 months I believe...and then again at 6 months  I had it done and really need it again...my issue is my scar and the ooze I still get so I have a skunk line bcuz I do not let her color near the scar at all...and I hang over the tub to keep it from running in there.....

But that is what my NS had on a paper I got when I left the hospital...6 months.....I know not easy : P

"selma"
That's sort of what I'm thinking...maybe just dye the rest and cover the incision for now...I have to do something or I will need a paper bag lol

I knew I read the time line somewhere but I couldn't remember what it was or where I read it! Thanks!
u r welcome...it may be best to ask someone to do it for u....I could not do it , but I think my scar is much bigger than urs.....and u may not have a problem...my DH also bought a temp dye so it was not as strong...and it has lasted quite a while...I had a few places it did not cover completely, but I did look better...lol....
My cousins a hairdresser so I may ask her..however I can't use the sink to wash out...so I may enlist the help of my DH....who knows how that will turn out???? I figure he deserves it if he wants to make the grey hair comments!!!!!
.....y can't u use the sink?...I found the kitchen sink the best place since having surgery to wash my hair...when I could not lift my arms to do it my self...DH washed it for me at the sink....one other thought...DH can be smart sometimes..he suggested vaseline over the scar to keep the dye off it....
Sorry, I meant the hairdressing sink...you know the one where you have to bend your head back. I guess I could just tell her to let me bend over frontwards tho...good thought. The vaseline is a terrific idea and one I will definitely use!!! I was trying to brainstorm ideas for the just in case...
oh...lol...yeah...get a stool and face the other way...hold a folded towel over ur face......hahaha...DH is sooooo proud of himself for all these were his ideas : )
Hey girls there is nothing wrong with grey hair lol.

Ray
Well on guys it is called distinguished....on a woman it is called letting herself go ....and, I don't follow rules, per-say, but, I personally like the texture of my hair after it's been colored....
LOL Ray...tell my hubby that...Maybe I should tell him that it's time to dye his...oh yeah that's right...he doesn't have any!!!

Selma..I like the texture too...and it seems a bit thicker...thank your DH for the tips :)
will do Carolyn....not only thicker, but softer, shinier....lol....  
I had to wait 6 months too.  I never wore a hat so much in my life.  I used to get highlights with the cap, but my NS said that it is too risky because of the metal pick the hairdresser uses, now I get foils.

Does anyone have this issue...the hair growing in around my scar line is about 3 shades lighter than the rest of my head?  and before my surgery I only had a few grey hair, now they're growing like crazy.

Susan
Hi Susan...my grey hair is 10 fold what it was b4 too !!

I am not sure that the hair growing back is lighter...I can't see and no one else has mentioned it to me.

But I was also told that the excess hair loss after the surgery was from the trauma of the surgery...I thought it was my thyroid, but it has lightened up on what is falling out.....

"selma"
Yes Susan..there does seem to be a few more grey on my head too...maybe it's from the stress of it all!! I thought it was b/c of my extremely long wait to dye my hair but who knows? I think my hair is pretty much the same color at the back...it doesn't look any lighter.

Selma...I've had lots of hair loss for years but worse after giving birth and the surgery...it seems like it might be another gift from Hashi's...
I just have to say GREAT POST!  I've wondered the same thing!  I'm 33 and it was bad enough to have the surgery but added pain to discover I HAVE GREY HAIR!!!  What the heck?????
I'm ready for hair to take a dip!  LOL
I thought so too Carolyn...but it has slowed up, so I know the crazy amount was from the trauma itself...I know Hashi's is adding to the issue of losing hair...but I still have a thick head of hair regardless : )

Grey or brunette...it is still full : D
lol jorlex..I'm 33 too maybe it's the dreaded age!!

Selma...lucky for me..I grow hair as fast as I lose it thank goodness..my NS was amazed at how much hair I grew back in two weeks!! Plus it's curly so it looks fuller than it is. However, it is still concerning when I pull a handful out each time I shower!
Oh I know...I wish my was curly,....but it  is normal to lose hair...I saw on Dr Oz he said to pick a small cluster and yank...u should get one or two hairs that come out easily...if u get more, it could be an underlying issue that needs attention like a thyroid  condition......
I definitely get more than a few...I clog the drains on a regular basis!!
LOL Carolyn. I clog the drains too! Like to the point that i have to get the hair out after every shower i take! And i haven't had surgery yet. Guess its a good thing i have a lot of hair lol   Not being able to dye my hair is one of the things i will not be happy about but i'll deal with grays and two-toned hair to get rid of even some of these symptoms!
And I thought you were a true red head :(

LMAO
LOL...ok kids it's 1:1...

Shannon...I have to ball up my hair and remove it every time I shower or I get the evil eye from my DH...b/c it's usually him that has to pull it all out when it clogs!! I agree..having grey hairs is a small price to pay :)
HaHa Ray :~P I AM a true red head but the older i get the darker it gets plus those great grays stuck in there lol so i get it colored so its the red i like the best lol

Yeah carolyn i get ugly looks too he DH has to clean out the hair clogs because he doesn't have any hair! Lol
LMAO...same with mine!! I tell him he's just jealous thats all....!!!
The information I received after my second surgery 4 weeks ago said I only had to wait 6 weeks before I could colour or perm my hair.  The only thing that will make me wait longer will be the bending over the sink problem - I find it easier to bend backwards rather than forwards - the problem is resting on the sink.
There is a huge difference between the 6 weeks I have info on and the 6 months others have suggested.  I would ask you doctor - or just avoid the area and do the top only for a while.

I can't wait for a good cut and colour :)
I think that is the best option...just do to do it and avoid that area. I went to the swimming pool yesterday and found the water (with chemicals) still made it sting...so I will do the vaseline and towel trick!
Carolyn
hi...I did read some drs feel that 6 weeks is enuff, but as I mentioned, I did get printed material from my dr stating 6 months....so, along with that I also have a scar that keeps opening...which is Y I agreed with the dr not to color my hair and when I did it was with a milder solution and only on top....plus I had someone do it for me so they could be sure to avoid the scar area.....I am going to color my hair for the 2nd time since my surgery and going to do it the same way...top only......it is not worth having an issue....and like chiari itself...we must listen to our bodies...and what is best for us : )

Carolyn...the vaseline should help keep nething off that area.....

Was about to post this question and found this thread :)

Did people find that after waiting 6 months they had no problems colouring their hair with the scar site? Like pain or irritation etc?
I am trying to dye my hair as close to the colour I am originally before the operation. However I still think there may be massive obvious root issues :) but I also know I will be so nervous of putting chemicals like that anywhere near the scar site.

I know it seems such a little thing to worry about in the scheme of things but my hair has been worrying me no end!  
Hmm, something in there doesn't quite make sense to read :) I haven't had the operation yet, I am trying to find my natural hair colour for before I have the operation is what I meant to say :)
selma--
wow .. i know you saw the same dr .. and he told me 2 weeks after i get my staples out i could use boxed hairdye, so that would be what 3 weeks after the surgery since my staples had to be out7-10 days post op... but not to get it professionally dyed for 3 months, which i havent done yet. my surgery was feb 9 and ive dyed  my hair 4 times myself already. (yes im a hairdye addict i only wait 4 weeks in between colorings if i do it myself.)
although, i had a very good healing period, after i had my staples out my top incision blead some a few days then scabbed and was fine.

Hi...well I also have ehlers-danlos and I heal slowly to begin with and did not have staples, I only had glue and sterri strips....so I really wanted to avoid an issue...plus I did have what I called oozing up to at least if memory serves me which most times it does not...was till about 9 months....so, since I had that issue, it was best to avoid it all together....or should I say where the scar was....my DD did it for me too, which made it easier to do that way as well.

The paper with the 6 months came from the PA...she and the NS did not seem to agree on this topic at all....lol....

"selma"
:( im sorry that the healing part wasnt as easy for you. I think ive always been a fast healer. the only reason mine blead after my staples were removed was bc of the staple remover, when it pulled out one of the staples it tore my skin.

i cant imagine how hard it was to have to have someone do it for you...i still havent had mine professionally done, idk how long till i will.. i can keep up with it myself for now.

btw.. my NS n PA agreed on NOTHING. my NS isnt the person who discharged me.. it was one of his "colleagues" i didnt even see dr B the say i was released except at 4 am wehm i told him i didnt care about anything but getting outta there. and the guy who DID discharge me cared more about bs-ing than business... including the fact he almost gave me 1/4 of the dosage of meds i was on- and i had a 9 hr car ride.

Kara

It was the PA that discharged me...and y I got that paper on the hair dye...lol....if it was the Dr I am not sure I would have gotten it.

The NS's were in surgery when I left....so I did not get to talk to them until my post op visit.

Well it was my DD that helped me by coloring my hair so it wasn't so bad....in fact there is no one else I would trust to do it.

Ouch...I am glad I didn't have staples, but I had enuff issues ....but, at least it  did not hurt.

"selma"
Just get it cut & have them do the flat top.  I go every two weeks and just tell my hair cut lady to get the white out.    LOL

It's a guy thing, some lady's can pull it off very well also.

Roy902