Chiari Malformation Community
Too Emotional?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Too Emotional?

I have a 6mm malformation diagnosed seven years ago. I am getting a new MRI to see where it's at since my symptoms are getting worse. Does anybody find that they are too emotional or cry too much (and not because they are pain)? I can't seem to control my emotional responses (even to tv commercials or cute kittens on the web) and I can pin point exactly when it began, 18 years ago after being rear ended in a car accident (bad whiplash). I have had lots of symptoms since then attributed to also having Ankylosing Spondylitis. But maybe it was the Chiari starting a long time ago...
I cry all the time now, but its because i am scared....
I too have trouble with emotions its all or nothing, happy one min, sad the next or boy flying off the handle at everyone.

My poor family never no what to expect.

Think these damn Dr's dont help in trying to get us a diagnosis, we are messed about soooo much, it adds to our stress levels, which then flares our symptoms, it's a total vicious circle.

Why why why dont they see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niki
x x x
Hi, thank you for posting, sounds like you might be getting depressed. This is nothing to be ashamed of. Often people in chronic pain experience this, and it is from the pain, but It happens long term. Your chemicals in your brain need more positive chemicals rather than the constant negative brain chemicals(I assume) to balance out your everything and therefore balance your moods. Something like that, I am not a doctor lol.  

Anyways, my father has AS and they have had him on Amitriptaline (not spelt right) for a combo pain reducing antidepressant for many years now. You should schedule an appointment with your primary and let them know it is happening this often.    Also, Chiari patient can also have hormonal irregularities as well,so the Chiari can be a  compounding factor.  
Try to get some sunshine and some walking (gentle exercise) in the meantime, that will boost your good brain chemicals, if it doesnt induce too much pain lol. Hope you start to feel better soon!
Yes, I get the emotions that you speak of..it's quite annoying and embarrassing at times. I will be talking about something only slightly emotional and I will feel my eyes tear up and I will think...does so and so that I'm talking to notice this? I find that my emotions are overdrive in  more ways than once...you know that common goosebump feeling? Well when I get it, it goes crazy and it actually kind of hurts...to the point where I don't want to enjoy music or anything else that might trigger it. It's really quite weird! I think a lot of it does come from dealing with the condition and the fear of the unknown that comes with it but sometimes I just can't find a good explanation why and I have to wonder if it is something to do with our nerves. I mean everything in our body is run by them one way or another.. I too, am known to fly off the handle with a moments notice...my family knows now to duck and cover..LOL. So don't worry..I am sure there are a lot of us tearing up Chiarians out there :)

Carolyn

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Most deff the emotions r a chiari thing...I cry like that too...I went to my cousins husbands funeral and she was consoling me!! I was not close to him, just get overwhelmed and can not control it...and like u the damn commercial get me too....

Too many times drs r too fast to say we r depressed...I know I am not...and I do not understand this emotion that takes over me either.....it is like I feel their pain and am expressing it or releasing it mayb a better word.,...not really sure.

But I will say, it is not depression, it is chiari related and I really believe that.

"selma"
Hi! I am new to this forum but your subject had me reading your post immediately.  I am extremely emotional and I have horrible episodes at times too.  I started having these after a car wreck when I was 7 mo. pregnant and I thought at first it was Post partum depression.  However, it lasted so long my gyno sent me to a counseling center who then sent me to a psychiatrist and they diagnosed me bipolar w/depression & anxiety within 30 min of meeting me!  They had me fill out a Mood test and from that they determined this.  From there I was put on so many different meds and nothing worked and it was horrible.  Then I stopped going & stopped taking the meds cause it wasn't helping.  Then I got pregnant w/my second baby and I was fine during my pregnancy. Then the panic attacks just got worse.  I was just recently diagnosed w/Chiari 1, which I had never even heard of before.  I thought I had changed because I had kids because I used to be more outgoing and now that I look back on my life...I think I had psychological symptoms before the physical ones got so bad.  When I first got the diagnosis I was relieved because I thought well I'm not crazy...lol.  I am learning to manage my episodes better....when they come on I take a Xanax right away because if I get too far into them it's too late.  This has helped me greatly and I don't have to take medication every day...just when it's needed.
Hello and Welcome,

As I was reading your post I found myself comparing myself along with your story. I had the same problem after having kids except I found that it would be a ridiculous amount of time, about 2 years after my first one. Then like you, I went off the meds for a long time, got pregnant again and then needed to go back on them. My third pregnancy was horrible, I was in discomfort constantly, had unexplained bleeding and ended up on bed rest for the last 8 weeks. I am quite sure now that it had something to do with Chiari. I looked back after diagnosis and realized the same thing and how I had signs and symptoms even into my teen years. I had a very hard time when I was about 15. The good news is that post surgery, other than a bout with Gabapentin (I would not recommend for us with anxiety)...I have been more or less anxiety free!! This is a huge deal for me b/c I have been dealing with panic attacks for years. I have no doubt now that Chiari played a big part in that. The one downside with having a history of anxiety though is that they tend to want to blame that for all your symptoms....

Carolyn