Chiari Malformation Community
Trouble sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Trouble sleeping

Had problems sleeping before surgery. Really have problems sleeping after surgery. I have slight case of sleep apnea. My uvula is too big. Lol. But since my surgery I wake up in pain in neck and head. I toss and turn all night and I can only sleep on my right side. I cannot lay on the back of my jead at all. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?
Some people on here in other threads have suggested getting a pillow and sewing it down the middle to make a pillow you can sleep on on your back. The groove down the middle keeps pressure from being put on the back of your head. You might try that. I am making one for when I go and have my surgery.
I might try the pillow thing too sometime.  Thanks for mentioning!  I have the same issue with laying on my back...even if I'm sitting in a recliner, that pressure on the back of my head hurts.
I just had my 2nd decompression & I am having issues sleeping. I can only lay on my right side! I have a few different pillows ive tried. The best I found is a travel pillow! I got it at walgreens for 3 bucks. Its really small so i can put it under my neck & it supports my head. Good luck.

When u sleep on ur side r u supporting ur back and neck by placing a small pillow btwn ur knees?...everything goes out of alignment...so u do need to do this...plus using a body pillow or a rolled up blanket to wedge behind u so u do not roll may help,...and ur left side is the better side to lay on for digestion.

I still do not like to lay flat on my back...or back of my head to be flat on a pillow...I also have tried a few diff ones and the best advice I can give is try a few diff ones till u find one that works for u...they sell a chiari pillow that can be pricey and does not work for everyone.....I found a cheap pillow at Target that worked great.

If u have sleep apnea, do u have a c-pap machine?

Good luck
"selma"
AlyssaWhite0908 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26