Undiagnosed in Canada and in need of help
Hey,

I haven't been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation but suspect I have it through doing online research. I have been diagnosed EDS (hypermobility type). Sadly I'm in Canada and it seems like no doctors here treat or know about Chiara, let alone EDS so I have no way of perusing a diagnosis, or a treatment. I'm pretty lost, which is why I'm here.

My symptoms include:
-lightheadedness and near fainting when standing for more than a few minutes (i've actually fainted a small number of times)
-Pain/tension/stress on my lower neck that vibrates up my head and down my spine, and that hurts more when I move my head.
-Dizzyness.
-Bobble-head feeling
-Difficulty standing, or sitting when I don't have neck/head support. Lying down/resting my head always improves pain and lightheadness. Wearing a soft neck brace also helps.
-Difficulty swallowing and chronic acid reflux
-Slurred speech when my symptoms are worse (like my tongue is heavy)
-Ringing in ears
-Need to urinate frequently (like, I use the washroom every half an hour)
-Scoliosis
-tightness around my chest (like im wearing a corset thats too tight)

Some of these symptoms might be due to my EDS.... but as you can imagine, they're really reducing the quality of my life and I feel like they're only getting worse.

Seeing as I dont have support from doctors about this, I'm really at loss about what to do. I wear a soft neck brace when I'm home and that helps, and I try to rest my head as often as possible, and I rdrink a lot of water.

Does this sound like it could be Chiari? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to improve symptoms, or possibly where I can go in Canada to be tested for this, and treated if I do indeed have it?

I'm really desperate for help... any suggestions will be really apprecaited

thanks!
Is it possible for you to get an MRI done?  Have you been tested for POTS?  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

I know it must feel like there r NO Drs that treat or understand Chiari or related conditions like EDS but there are, we do have a list of Drs that have treated members here for it, use the list to research the Drs to help u find the right Dr for u,

It is possible ur EDS could be causing many of ur symptoms....as well as POTS or ICP....

Have u had a brain MRI? Do they let u get copies of ur MRI on disk up there? IF so, get them and u can send them to Chiari specialists for review, some charge a nominal feel while others may do it free of charge.

Keep us posted : )
BB11 - I haven't been formally tested for POTS, but my doctor said I had it based on my symptoms. I have had an MRI done a few years ago which came back normal.

selmaS - I will check out the list, thank you! And yes, it is very possible that EDS is causing my symptoms. I didn't think about sending copies of my MRI to an out of country specialist, but that's a fantastic idea that I will definitely look into. Thanks!