Upcoming surgery soon...
I have posted on here a few times, I usually lay low and read every ones comments, mostly to see if I can learn anything new...I have been to 2 neurosurgeons and both said they believe surgery is best for me...I went last week to the 2nd one and he said he believes it is in my best interest to have this decompression surgery and talked about removing some bone(?) at the top of my neck as well as the part of the skull they have to remove..I'M SCARED! They have called twice to set the surgery date up and I've put them off, mostly due to I have no family where I live except my husband and 2 boys and they work and go to school and I'm afraid I will need some kind of help, will I?? My husband has got to have time to ask for vacations days as well, they also said it will take at least 2 weeks to get an approval from the insurance company...any help is appreciated..What will I need in the hospital? What should I expect to be able to do once I get home? Etc? Forgive me, I'm nervous, silly I know..I'm 39 and should be able to deal with things like this..Thanks in advance.

;

Hi, I remember ur sign-on....I would have to ask u how is ur Chiari affecting ur everyday life and ur overall health?...do u have an obstruction?

Do u feel comfortable with this NS?......

It  is normal to be scared, I was, but I also knew I really didn't have a choice...some of us do...some can post pone surgery for a while...but, is it worth it to wait until u r really bad off to have surgery?...It all depends on how it is affecting u...once u have a Dr u r comfortable with it is not as scary...but still not easy to deal with.

U will need someone possibly the first couple weeks...and even after that for lifting, vacuuming...etc....not sure how old ur boys are and if they are able to help u, or what u will be expected to do when ur DH goes back to work, u may want to ask a family member to come stay for a while to help u.

No one should be able to deal with this...unless they already went thru it....so u r asking reasonable things.

The big thing is there is no way to know how long u will need help, as u will have no idea how u will respond to the surgery until u have it...we all  react diff to the meds and the procedure....this is a major surgery, and is not a cure, and  can lead to other possible post op issues.

There is a list of what to take to the hospital in the Health Pages...see then at the lower right hand of the page, scroll down..........

If u have a problem locating let me know.

"selma"
Chiari affects most everything I do...IF I feel semi ok and try to clean the house or do simple things, I usually end up with one heck of a migraine type headache..not to mention a multitude of other symptoms..the list is long.

Yes, this NS is very knowledgeable..I read some where on the net (not sure if it was here) of a surgery or so he has done..His name is Dr.Martino in Mobile, Alabama.

I really feel comfortable with this doctor, just the idea of the whole process is very scary! He believes I definitely need the surgery as did the 1st doctor I saw.

Thanks for answering my questions, you help more than you know..I will just have to figure out a date now..
I've been where you are at right now and it is a scary place to be.  My question my dr. asked me was. "Can you keep living life the way you are feeling?".  because he stated having Chairi it doesn't go away.  For most of us it just get's worse.  As my dr. told me I was 48 yrs old when I had my surgery 17 mths ago and as he suggested for me to have it when I did because your young and the recovery time will be better for you.  There is a lot to consider.  I just wanted to let you know we are here for you and will be on this journey with you.  The thing I stress is be prepared not to lift, bend or anything like this after surgery.  Let us know on your decision's.  I'm here to help in any way that I can.
Thanks for the reply..I'm going to have the surgery, it will just be after the holidays..sometime the first part of next year, looking at January..ugh..Glad I'm not alone and that yall will be here for me/or anyone else going down this road. THANKS!:)

Do post ur surgery date when u get one in the surgery date thread so we can easily locate it and remember u on that day  : )

It is scary, and know u r not alone...if u have ne questions, we are here : )

"selma"
I will do that! Thanks so much for your help..it is appreciated!:)
Good for you just be prepared as I was not that you are going to be out for a long time and you really have to baby yourself get lots of movies, books and make this time for you,i had meals delivered got 3 weeks every other day and that was huge...keep us posted.