Chiari Malformation Community
Update on my doctor visit with a new neurologist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hello Selma, and Prince Bratt and others,  

I do not have a question, i just wanted to give you all an update on my doctor's visit yesterday, May 22.  The nuerologist was very empathy with me, compared to the other neurologist who wanted me to see a psychiatrist.  But he states the systoms that i have is not coming from the chiari.  So he scheduled many tests for me to complete.  A test  for the numbness i have, another test for the memory loss and other tests.  Also he gave me a different medication for severe headaches and migranes (migraines).  My hernination is 6mm.  He's states the chiari is mild and not to worry. So it looks like i will be continuing many doctor visits and tests.

But in my heart of heart, I believe i need to search for a chiari specialist regardless of his compassionate and caring.  But in the meantime i will follow the plan.

What do you all think?
Hi Ann!!
I did the same thing...it is best to rule out other conditions....in doind so I did find I had other chiari related conditions that r contributing to my pain.

But U r right u will need to find a chiari specialist...and 6 mm is not how they should be judging ur chiari.....u need to know how crowed it all is and if there is a blockage.... I was told mine was 6mm on the left and 4 mm on the right...I was told mine was mild...don't need to do nething....but the chiari specialist said my CSF flow was blocked and the chiari was severe...chiari is not determined by the size of the tonsils...everyone seems to think it is.....even the drs we see.

Keep looking for a chiari specialist and ask for copies of all the tests on disk and copies of the reports as well.

Keep us posted
"selma"
hi girl...just read your update and just must comment for the first time...simply becuz first i agree with selma of course and that is keep on your search for specialist as i am doing as well. i say this becuz ive found thus far fhat any other docs just dont seem to want to acknowledge that chiari is causing such symptoms and for sum reason always think "its gotta be something else" i was told the same thing, went  for nerve conduction studies for the numbness and weakness in extremities and pain studies and this and that for each and every symptom i told docs i had.....at the same time they were looking right at the ct scan and mri stating the chiari malformation however they chose to look past that being reason for those such symptoms and sent me here there and everywhere. i guess it didnt have to be a bad thing to rule whatever out HOWEVER my situation -a car accident struck up my cm symptoms and i only had x amount auto coverage for medical purpose and all those tests and such exhausted it quick and now im still at point ZERO with NO COVERAGE now. so that whole ordeal just frustrated me, so i guess you can follow their plan YES but also, like selma suggested, still keep your focus on YOU and what you are comfy with and seeking and keep going in that dirrection as well!!! good luck !!! hugs!!