Chiari Malformation Community
Weird top of shoulder pain???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Weird top of shoulder pain???

Just curious if anyone else has this.  Just recently I have started to have pain on the top of my shoulders, so sensitive that my bra straps bother my shoulders right on the top... no injuries, no real reason to have pain in that odd location.  It is making me buggy!!!  It hurts to touch and I have not injured this area??  This is not like neck/shoulder pain from surgery, it is just small spots right under where the bra strap goes over the top of your shoulder???

That does sound odd....wonder what it might be....hmmmm

Sorry right now I have no ideas to share.

Keep us posted on this

"selma"
I have had this occasionally, only on my bad side, the left. Maybe we are swollen which is really my only idea. But you are not alone. I just never thought to much about it til you broughy it up.
You just had surgery didn't you?  I know for me after my surgeries I invested in some sport's bra's.  They still give you support, but they don't seem to bother the tender part's around the shoulder's and head.  I would try this.  They are a little more comfy than a regualar bra.  Let me know if this help's.  Best wishes.
I have had this, but I have not had surgery. Just random hurting on the top  
(and back) of the shoulder, where things touch (in other places as well)...but I always figured it was a sensory issue...the only things that I have found that have helped are 1. changing my clothes (including bra) until I find something that works. or 2. stripping and sleeping it off with a fuzzy blanket that doesn't hurt.

LIS...I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about, but its definitely that buggy feeling. My ways of dealing with it don't work everywhere obviously  - there have been times where it has led to fits of crying...yeesh - like I said not sure if its the same thing.
Sounds similar!  It is not a muscular thing, it is a small spot on the top of my shoulders that hurts to touch.  I keep moving my bra strap over and for the record, my bra strap is not a heavy one pushing on my shoulder.  It seems to be this really sensitive spot.  who knows, just one more strange little thing!  Surgery was six months ago and my neck is still sore but I have never had the top of shoulder spots after any of the surgeries, this is very new.  

This is weird, but I had that earlier this week for the first time and I believe somehow I scratched myself and it felt bruised....it is better now, but I recall thinking now what is going on...but, like I said I really think it was a scratch that for some reasons felt bruised, and with EDS that does not surprise me, and bcuz of where it was I could not see nething in the mirror....sigh
EDS? is that in the medical terms thread...I need to go look it up! :)

Yes, it is definitely not muscle pain, but rather a really sensitive spot on the skin. Probably has something to do with nerve endings close to the skin not working properly or something....who knows.

EDS= Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and yes I  do believe it is in that thread...we also have a group on MH where u can find more info as well as in the Health Pages.http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Ehlers-Danlos-Syndrome/show/417?controller=forums&action=show&id=417&camp=msc
Found it! :)

Yea !!.....let me know if u have ne questions : )
Yes, I am having exact same pain on top of left shoulder.  It hurts to lift my arm in front of me but can do it.  Trying to lift out to my side is a different story.  I can't even get it straight out at all without a lot of pain.  This has been going on for about a month now.  I have been doing advil and the heating pad for some relief but it seeems to be getting worse and I am thinking I am going to be forced to dr.  I will repost news of that when I do go ....
I've had this type of pain off and on for years. Got real bad after a fall 3 years ago. In fact that pain is what eventually led to my cm dx. They were searching for the cause of the 'nerve pain'. Not quite the same as well I don't wear a bra. My wife may look at me strange if I did. :-) I can empathize though as this gets tender enough at times that even a t-shirt is too much pressure.

Never have really received a difinative answer as to what causes this pain. Di had suggested that it could be from the DDD in the cervical spine.

CW
:)  Happy to hear you have the same thing, it sounds like exactly the pain!  It really is any small pressure and it is very point specific.  Some days I have to keep moving my shirt, purse or bra strap but any day I can just push on the spot and feel how sore it feels.  I can move my arms all I want, it is not muscular... as a matter of fact I do my PT for my neck and back every day and have never had problems with this pain during that, it is just that it acts up a couple times a week and I will find myself moving the bra strap and as I stated before, there is not a whole lot of pressure coming from the bras that I wear! LOL  One side bothers me much more than the other but I can feel it on both sides.  I figure it must be some type of nerve issue since it did not seem to be muscular at all.  Feels good though to hear someone that has the same issue!  It seems to be happening more frequently but hopefully it just stays to a minimum!  I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have a more normal day where strange things are not happening! :)  My tilt table is Wednesday and hopefully that will give me more answers and then my next MRI next month to check on the pseudomeningocele. .... I am convinced that this process has to end one of these days!!
I have been having a symptom similar to this since my wreck.  I cannot wear necklaces, jackets, or anything that fits around my neck, without causing swelling and pain.  This was actually one of my first symptoms.  The headaches came later. The doctor that was treating me for whiplash thought it was strange.  He said it was similar to RSD and CRPS, that my body was overreacting to pain.  He ordered desensitization to be performed by my physical therapist, it didn't work.  I am curious if this is a symptom of chiari because not any have this.

Hi...I also had whip lash and  loss of cervical lordosis as a result of it going 14 yrs undx'd...I was able to get some back with the help of a chiro, I had no idea of my chiari at the time, but, I also had the sensitivity with my neck...I could not wear a neck lace or a turtle neck sweater as it felt like I was being strangled....at almost 3 yrs post op I can say it does not feel like that nemore...I can wear the turtlenecks , it may after a few hours start to bother me, but b4 it was a few minutes....and I can also wear a necklace again....not sure what the connection is, but I find it odd that we both had whiplash,,
I find that odd also.  There are so many things to consider.  I go to see a neurologist specializing in headaches on May 31.  I hope there is something that can lessen the vasalvar pain and the extreme fatique that accompanies it. I am also having a hysterectomy in June.  According to the posts on this website, I don't think I wll be recommended for surgery for quite a while so I am trying to find ways to deal.  Tingling and numbness, I am pretty used to, it is think headpain with coughing, etc. that is frustrating me.  I have to keep halls with me, laugh a certain way, hold m head a certain way, and deal with people looking at me crazy for saying "you know" instead of what i truly want to say.  There has got to be a better way.
this is just a thought, but do you think it could be your rotater cuff ? I'v had that pain b/4 and let me tell you it is very painful

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The member u posted a reply to has not been active since that one post in this thread....

May we ask do u have Chiari as well? And if so  have u had surgery yet, or have u found a Dr that specializes in this and related conditions.