Chiari Malformation Community
What is a towering cerebellum..? Radiolgy report recv'd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Ok I got my Imaging report:

Third and fourth lateral ventricles are within normal size and position.
There is a mild decrease in the size of the fourth ventricle with inferior displacement of the cerebellar tonsils extending approximately 7mm below the level of the foramen magnum.
The angle between the tentoriuma dn twining's line (posterior sella turica to the internal occiptial protuberance) measure appproximately 48degrees and this is greater than the normally anticipated 36 degrees angle indicative of a TOWERING CEREBELLUM.  The supraocciut measures approximately 3.9cm and this is below the normally anticipated 4.8 cm indicative a small posterior foss and correlating with the finding of a Chiari 1 malformation

CSF:
There is a moderate increase in CSF flow at the level of the foramen magnum and the velocity measurements are as follows: 12cm/sec, anterior 3 cm/sec, posterior 2cm/sec, right lateral 4cm/sec and left lateral 7cm/sec. These velocity measurements are moderately elevated consistent with moderate stenosis at the level of the foramen magnum.
No evidenceof flow restriction to indicate acute or subacute ischemia..

Okay.. I understand some of this. I capatilized Towering Cerebellum, because what is this!?  

Thanks all!

It appears my csf flow is technically normal, but on the higher end. Is correct? If so would diamox help with headaches. I was given this from a neurologist before dx and nothing to do with Chiari, just for headaches. Before "cycle"  

Sorry but I may add this in a new post since its a little different and no one is looking anymore. :-)

Tags: cine, csf, towering, cerebellum
This website: http://www.fetalultrasound.com/online/text/5-023.HTM defines towering cerebellum as" upward cerebellar protrusion through the tentorium." The tenorium is an extension of the dura that separates the cerebellum from the part of the brain just above it. Basically it sounds like the cerebellum is pusing both up and down. Does that sound right...?
czpdx
I'm not sure, I'm freaking out. The only websites it pops up on are Chiari 2.
Its listed under chiari 2 findings on a 3t mri. This does not sit well with me. I'm confused. BTW who are your doc's here in pdx?

U posted to another thread the same info and I did reply to that thread...I hope what I posted is helpful/