Chiari Malformation Community
Why does my scalp hurt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Why does my scalp hurt?

Does anyone have a good answer for that one?  Recap - I have CM1 5 mm, multiple discs issues, multiple spinal curve problems (possible sciolosis and cervical kyphosis).  The chiro said that he sees a ton of pressue in my neck.  I can feel muscle soreness in my neck but mostly bone\joint pain.  For the last month or long my scalp has been extremely tender on top, hurts more if I lightly touch it and sometimes it feels like there is a nail on top poking down.  But it also kind a feels like the scalp is separating?

Ideas, empathy, similar experiences?

THANKS!

I know I learn from you all than I do from my dr's :)  maybe I need better dr's  :)
iup
HI...I never had the feeling my scalp was separating or a nail sticking in it...but I have moments where it feels like I have ridges of swollen areas that r tender to the touch.I always assumed that it was CSF bcuz they always appeared when I had weird pressure.....

I of course never had these when I was seen by my dr, so I never found out what it was....

"selma"
I have never felt like a nail is in my scalp, but my scalp is always sore and I just chalked it up to always having my hair in a pony tail or bun for work, so in the past to weeks have started leaving it down as much as possible and it so far has not changed. Wish I would offer some advice!

Best Wishes! :D
I have to agree  with blondeballerina..pony tails make it worse.....
I'm afraid that I can't help you there either. I even post op get weird periods where my face and scalp get extremely itcy. At times my wife will comment that I get a rash on the back side of head. Post op it rarely lasts more than a few mins so I assume it is nerve related.

I do still get a huge lump on the back of my head near the Posterior Fosa [sp?] area when feeling stressed. Dr told me to give that another year.

Don't know that this helps you any??? Seems to me that perhaps we all may interpret what we feel a little differently due to our own life's experience. I've noticed by following this forum that with many symptoms different Chiarians seem to be describing the same thing. Not sure if that is true here or not.

Wolf
Hello:)

I don't recall ever having the nail feeling either but I do get a lot of pain in my scalp...sometimes I just keep rubbing it trying to make it feel better!! For me I feel like it is definitely muscle related, I get these swollen bumps especially at my temple that I'm sure is muscle. Plus, it usually comes when my neck is really sore and stiff, it starts at the base of my skull and works upwards. I also get a lot of pain in the muscles around my jaw and eyes...a lot of facial pain. When I rub my skull I can actually feel the tightness there. So if it is the same for you I would think it is probably starting from the muscles in your neck. I haven't really found a good solution for it other than avoiding pony tails and hats and trying to relax my neck (which is a tough one).

Hope that helps!
Carolyn
Well, I just cut off all my hair today, so no more ponytails for sure :O
Well...that is one way to deal with that issue.....what style did u go with?

LOL..myabe that's what I should do...how bout shaving it all off and then I won't have to worry about dying it either!!