Chiari Malformation Community
Yellow roof of mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Yellow roof of mouth

Hey all, The roof of my mouth and back of my throat is yellowish with blood red spider web looking stuff througout and some white spots.  If I compress my tongue, behind and on back of tongue looks like ground up hamburger.  I have no tonsils or adenoids (adenoids) as I had them out as an adult.  I've also had pinching pain in upper left abdomen, left side abdomen and left back...maybe where kidneys are.  Anyone experience this?  It's been going on for a few weeks and I didn't go to the doctor...I'll admit...because I've been so much I'm tired of worrying if they'll think I'm a hypochondriac.
I also get a lot of cut like/slit like sores in back corners, cracks of mouth and deep holes in my tongue.  I've always had canker sores too in my cheeks etc.
That sounds terrible! I totally understand not wanting to go to the dr.! Im not sure what that could be. I seem to alway have a thick coating on my tongue that feels terrible and makes me not be able to taste my food very well. When I brush my tongue, it comes off in chunks and leaves bloody spots where it comes off.  I can't stand it! I think it is a yeast infection(thrush). Anyway, if you mix liquid benedryl and maalox equally(about a tsp full) and use it like a mouth wash 3 times a day it helps. Just thought you might give it a try..if it doesn't work, I would def go to the dr even though I know how disappointing it is most of the time...good luck to you!   Sheri
Yeah, I don't get the yellow on my tongue so wasn't sure it was thrush?  The yellow on my roof top doesn't seem to be a "coating" per se, more like the actual color instead of pink?  But I've been brushing with baking soda only and that helps my tongue.  I'll check into what you said and I may try to go to urgent care or something over the weekend and check it out.  I keep putting it off when I don't notice the side issue and stuff thinking it's going away and then another day it will feel worse.  

HI...this sounds more like it might be a high acid level....from reflux.

Do u sleep with the bed elevated?...have u had ne reflux symptoms?

Have u been on antibiotics recently?
No antibiotics...Have been diagnosed with GERD/LPR in the past.  

Are u on meds and have u modified ur diet?

vitamins, allegra and provigil.  i've modified my diet recently in that i've cut out a lot of sugar, meat (not that I eat meat much anyway), and generally trying to eat better.  have actually been eating less too.
The only thing I drink is water and an ensure in the morning.  I have not/do not drink pop, fruit juices, sugary stuff.  I will drink decaf green tea with honey about 5 times a month.

But no meds for the reflux?

If u have a yeast issue, it could be in the base of  ur vitamins that u r having an issue to....sometimes they compound  vitamins and meds with things we  may have an adverse reaction to.

Since u have been dx'd with LPR which is sometimes called Silent reflux, I will assume u have not been aware of ne symptoms??

What are the possible side effects of modafinil (Provigil)?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using modafinil and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
easy bruising or bleeding;
white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your..on your lips;
hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
depression, anxiety; or
chest pain, uneven heart beats.
Less serious side effects may include:

headache, dizziness;
feeling nervous or agitated;
nausea, diarrhea;
trouble sleeping (insomnia); or
dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

I did take reflux meds for a long time but a couple things made me stop...1) I don't have heartburn symptoms etc unless it's the "silent reflux" at night and 2) taking them over long period of time does effect absorption of vitamins.  So I just stopped taking them.
Dont care what people might think of u they ll do it anyways!!!! Its ur right to go to a doctor if u feel sth is not right otherwise there profession would not exist!!! It even sounds to me strange and if they tell u then nothing is wrong even better!!!  My father had a coloured tongue too (but it was almost black) and they found out he has diabetis...get it checked maybe...

I agree, get this checked...it could be silent reflux and it could be a reaction to ur meds...but what ever it is, it can be seen and u need to know what it is.

Let us know what u find out.

"selma"
I will because I'm worried about the side pain.  Enlarged spleen maybe?  My mono levels have been high on past lab tests and stuff before.  We'll see what happens.

Keep us posted and good luck : )
I called the nurse at the VA.  She told me nothing I said indicates anything urgent and take some tums and wait and see.  I get the acid part, but normally reflux doesn't make me feel like organs are pushing against other organs.  If I breathe deep there is pressure, if I lean over, it feels like somethinng is being pushed/pinched against something etc.  Oh well. I'll "wait and see."  ...

Also modify ur diet including more things then just sugar items,,....u need to avoid spicy foods as well as acidic foods like tomato sauce, pizza, and greasy foods...nothing deep fried or pan fried...try to broil when  possible.

And elevate the head of ur bed so it is on an incline.

Hope u feel beter...but u may be bloated from the acids and y u feel like that when u bend,..etc...
Yeah, the wierd thing is I started modifying my diet about 3 weeks ago, much healthier, and it seems worse.  I don't eat anything fried at all that I can think of, no meat, no fast food, no pops, stopped eating suckers and milk duds.  But I will wait a few more days and see what happens.  I want to get this apt with Dr. Tew out of the way first and then go from there.  Thanks for all the response and suggestions.  

U may need meds in addition and could be y  u r feeling worse as u  r having an increase of acid...

I had these issues for yrs, I also have a hiatal hernia, but since my surgery my reflux issues have diminished quite a bit...I am still very careful with my diet....but, I enjoy what I eat : )
Did you find out what u got I have the exact same thing?  Please let me know.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

May I ask, do u also have Chiari?

Many of us with Chiari do have related issues like Ehlers-danlos and those with that have hiatial hernias which can cause reflux issues.....

Even those with Chiari and do not have EDS may have reflux and gerd issues....

If u just have this issue and not Chiari u may want to check out the GERD forum here on MedHelp-http://www.medhelp.org/forums/GERD-Acid-Reflux/show/333?controller=forums&action=show&id=333&camp=msc
Hello, I know this post was awhile back but I'm wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong? I'm experiencing similar symptoms minus the pains in my abdomen.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum,

The member u r addressing ur comment to has not been active recently in this forum,.

From rereading this thread the issues were from a common issue those with Chiari have and that is GERD /acid reflux....if u have Chiari u can give us more info, or if u just associate with the GERD issues u may want to post to the GERD FORUM here on MEDHELP- http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/333?camp=msc