Chiari Malformation Community
anxiety and chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

anxiety and chiari

has anybody else taken something for anxiety or depression and had some of your symptoms lesson?  i took a herbal anxiety supplement (5htp) the other day at about 12  and didnt feel anything i thought it was just another fony herb thing that doesnt work, well later that evening i was watching tv and i noticed i was able to pay attention to the show and actually enjoy it a little bit usually i cant take my mind off my symptoms, i got up to go to the fridge and noticed i felt a little lighter, the next morning much of my diziness had gone away and my head was clearer and my muscle pain had lessened, the next day i was almost feeling normal. that lasted about two days and then monday all of my symptoms came back on me in a split second,     i almost passed out from the shock,  so i was thinking possibly that stress can magnify the symptoms even if they come from a physical problem or maybe the doctors are right and its all just anxiety,  many of my symtpoms i can not even put in to words have no way to describe them they are so horrible and weird like something that does not even belong on this planet
Hi...b4 u think or even believe that it is anxiety ...first talk to a pharmacist as to what is in that herbal supplement and what properties it has.If it has anti inflammitory properties that would explain ur feeling better and not that ur issues r anxiety.

HOWEVER, chiari can affect us  with depression and anxiety as a direct result of the pressure on our brain stem.....most drs that do not understand chiari only see it as anxiety, not anxiety related to chiari.

Do find out what was in there and talk to ur dr regarding ne interactions with ne other meds or vitamins u may be taking.

"selma"
I to suffer from anxiety, although I do not take anything for it. My doctor is convinced that it isnt anxiety, but I only get it in social situations (ever since passing out one evening with my friends. No I do not like to go out in public. I am hoping to see another doctor soon that can help me out!
I have chiari....or is it had....got the fossa decompression...so is it have or had????  Either way, had the surgery 2 years ago and just in the last few months I think I have MASSIVE anxiety!  The base of my head and neck hurt all the time...that and many other things!  I have an MRI scheduled 11/26...don't know if I can wait that long...don't know what I wanna see....just don't wanna feel like this any more!  Anyone else out there get anxiety symptoms even after the surgery...if so what have you done about it? I feel like life is good, no more stress then usual! However, I feel sick all the time and it seems to be stressing me out thus the anxiety...catch 22!

Hi and welcome to the Chiari  forum.

It would be have, Chiari is a malformation and surgery only restores flow and hopefully lessen symptoms....

Many with Chiari can develop POTS, or ICP and anxiety over not knowing y u feel that way can feed into how u feel....

The important thing is to rule out all related conditions to Chiari to make sure it is not ne of them....

YUP...u got it...it is a vicious cycle...

Do u have a NL that knows Chiari or a good PCP that may be able to help u get some of the testing done?