Chiari Malformation Community
c2 ganglion blocks?????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

c2 ganglion blocks?????

So I spoke to diane today from dr oros and my next step is to have a c2 ganglion block. Well I've had occipital nerve blocks and radiofrequency,burning the nerves, from c3-c7. None of these procedures helped at all. I'm considering it bit not much to research about it. Selma help me.....I bellieve my issue is my basilar invagination but they say its ok for now. Anyone here ever had a c2 ganglion block?????

Hi sweetie....hmmm I do not know of another member having this done....from what I understand it is for cervicogenic headache which is caused by the C2 nerve.....this is a radio frequency wave that pulses...and can help for up to 6 months.....

Bcuz the C2 ganglion nerve is not well protected , which leads me to ask and U may have told me, bear with me please...do u have EDS?

If yes, this C2 is only protected by a ligament.....and with EDS that is when our connective tissues (ligaments) are affected....

I think if u look for a radio frequency block of C2 u may find more info....use the search this community....as this may be what others referred to it as,.I know u may have had this b4 but not in this area....

Dr Oro will follow protocol to rule things out, and that way INS will cover if it is the BI issue...so, all u can do is trust him and he is aware of ur BI....

May I ask what symptoms they are trying to help u with?
Yes I do have eds. All my pain everyday starts in my c2 area than travels deep into mid back of head, vision issues and major issues swallowing. When I wear the hard brace it helps even with my tachycardia. But that's not a fix and I can't wear it often because I don't want my muscles to get weak. I just fel my head iss too heavy for my neck and I have swelling in my neck area constantly.
Another issue is with my hearing. Out of nowhere I go almost deaf, usually in left ear amongst some reg chiari symptoms that never went away. But I mentione the newest, most bothersome ones
..

OIC...sorry....hmmm well the issue in that area will need to be ruled out...INS comps do make them jump hoops in order to get testing approved.....

I wish I could relate first hand info on this with u........

Keep a list of ALL symptoms and always give them to ur Dr as it can help them pinpoint issues faster....
hello,
I know am late on the conversation.
@ Sexybare: so sorry you are not feeling good. am sure you already tried physical therapy. what about neurontin? Just wondering what C2 ganglion is?

When I saw Dr. O last month, he mentioned that my headache could be cervicogenic headaches because I have a mild bulging disc @ C2.  I also started having ringing in my ears and serve neck pain that makes be cry. He also gave me an order for a neck brace but stated not to use if everyday so my muscle wont get weak. Also like you, I feel like my head is too heavy for my neck. Atime i feel like my neck is about to fall off especially if someone is driving and am in the passager's seat. Dr. O ruled out instability and said my neck is very weak and i have a curve on c2-c3.

I started PT and neurontin so we'll see how that goes. Could you please keep me updated on how you are feeling. I'm just curious.

My PT informed me about a machine that I could buy for $80 or have my insurance pay for it. She said he helps with pain. Not sure if you are aware of the machine. Its a small battery operated machine. I'll look up the name and let you know.
I haven't had my c2 ganglion block yet waiting on apt. But I have to be awake while they do it, UGH. its just a nerve block in c2. Looks like we are having similar issues. I just don't want to keep being a guinea pig. I want someone to tell me why and what's going on :/ i just want answers, no more needles nor tests. My head is too heavy for my neck,plain and simple. I hate ridin in car. Gives me headaches, neck pain and messes with my vision.....
Not to mention I got my hair cut to my chin because it was just too heavy. I had hair almost to my butt, bit its thin tho.

Dana...I can understand how u feel...waiting is the worst and no one wants to be poked and prodded all the time....we all long for life with out all of this...but, it is something we can not change.

Do u use a pillow in the car? That helped me...I no longer need it...not even for longer rides which use to drive me mad....I really feel the neck exercises helped me....but it does seem u have something else going on....

I also had a time where my hair was too much for me as well....heavy and difficult to manage, but I am doing ok with it now...it may just be a matter of time.

Hang in there