Chiari Malformation Community
cerebellar ptosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cerebellar ptosis

Has anyone had the surgical procedure for cerebellar ptosis? Is a plate always used or is there another procedure?  How long is recovery and is it similar to the decompression surgery for chiari malformation?
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Most here may not be aware of that term, cerebellar ptosis, but brain slump , well a few more may know that one.This is a condition that occurs if too much bone is removed during a PFD...and allows the cerebellum to fall . Most drs do make a sling of sorts to hold it in place, and others use a titanium plate during the PFD to help avoid this.

I do believe it all depends on how large an area needs to be covered as to what they choose to use and it  will be the dr that makes the choice.

I know we had a few members with this issue, not sure how theirs were resolved.

May I ask who u dr is?....and has he suggested a plate?...what r ur concerns?

Glad to have u join our family here, sorry for the reason u had to seek us out.

"selma"
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Most here may not be aware of that term, cerebellar ptosis, but brain slump , well a few more may know that one.This is a condition that occurs if too much bone is removed during a PFD...and allows the cerebellum to fall . Most drs do make a sling of sorts to hold it in place, and others use a titanium plate during the PFD to help avoid this.

I do believe it all depends on how large an area needs to be covered as to what they choose to use and it  will be the dr that makes the choice.

I know we had a few members with this issue, not sure how theirs were resolved.

May I ask who u dr is?....and has he suggested a plate?...what r ur concerns?

Glad to have u join our family here, sorry for the reason u had to seek us out.

"selma"
Blank
Thank you for the welcome and answering the question.  My doctor who performed the decompression and lamenectomy  surgery for Chiari Malformation was Dr. Oro in 2002.  I think it was an absolute success as I was symptom free until I was involved in a car accident.  I am currently seeing Dr. Di at the Cleveland Clinic who will perform the surgery for the brain slump.  I see him tomorrow and will have the surgery scheduled.  I am concerned about the recovery time and wondering if the 3 car accidents I've been in since my initial surgery could be the cause of the brain slump.  Getting hit by a car twice from behind, and a truck - side-swiped, could have caused the slump.  It's simple physics to me, but I understand most are sticking with the cause that too much skull was removed.
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Hi...it does sound like the MVA's did play a part in this...3 since ur PFD?WOW....not a good thing. I know as a post PFD chiarian....there r activities we should avoid as they can cause us to re-herniate.....and a MVA can trigger a asymptomatic chiarian to bcome symptomatic.

Did u talk to Dr Oro about this?

The too much skull being removed is the more common cause, as I am sure there r MVA that case this too....once the dr has u open they can tell more what is the cause...I am doubtful Dr Oro removed too much bone....

We have a member that has an appointment this week for the same condition....we will be able to follow both of u as u recover from this procedure...but to date, I do not have a time line from neone on this to compare or give u indications of how long the recovery was.

"selma"

Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
1755089_tn?1376057155
Blank
drewlevas uploaded new photos
41 mins ago
Blank
casscan2b added the Pain Tracker
5 hrs ago
Blank
ruthie777 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Aug 24
Top Neurology Answerers
620923_tn?1405964489
Blank
selmaS
Allentown, PA
Blank
Ball123
7489440_tn?1392096009
Blank
kwalker0004
Pocomoke, MD