Chiari Malformation Community
cerebellar ptosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

cerebellar ptosis

Has anyone had the surgical procedure for cerebellar ptosis? Is a plate always used or is there another procedure?  How long is recovery and is it similar to the decompression surgery for chiari malformation?
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Most here may not be aware of that term, cerebellar ptosis, but brain slump , well a few more may know that one.This is a condition that occurs if too much bone is removed during a PFD...and allows the cerebellum to fall . Most drs do make a sling of sorts to hold it in place, and others use a titanium plate during the PFD to help avoid this.

I do believe it all depends on how large an area needs to be covered as to what they choose to use and it  will be the dr that makes the choice.

I know we had a few members with this issue, not sure how theirs were resolved.

May I ask who u dr is?....and has he suggested a plate?...what r ur concerns?

Glad to have u join our family here, sorry for the reason u had to seek us out.

"selma"
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

"selma"
Thank you for the welcome and answering the question.  My doctor who performed the decompression and lamenectomy  surgery for Chiari Malformation was Dr. Oro in 2002.  I think it was an absolute success as I was symptom free until I was involved in a car accident.  I am currently seeing Dr. Di at the Cleveland Clinic who will perform the surgery for the brain slump.  I see him tomorrow and will have the surgery scheduled.  I am concerned about the recovery time and wondering if the 3 car accidents I've been in since my initial surgery could be the cause of the brain slump.  Getting hit by a car twice from behind, and a truck - side-swiped, could have caused the slump.  It's simple physics to me, but I understand most are sticking with the cause that too much skull was removed.
Hi...it does sound like the MVA's did play a part in this...3 since ur PFD?WOW....not a good thing. I know as a post PFD chiarian....there r activities we should avoid as they can cause us to re-herniate.....and a MVA can trigger a asymptomatic chiarian to bcome symptomatic.

Did u talk to Dr Oro about this?

The too much skull being removed is the more common cause, as I am sure there r MVA that case this too....once the dr has u open they can tell more what is the cause...I am doubtful Dr Oro removed too much bone....

We have a member that has an appointment this week for the same condition....we will be able to follow both of u as u recover from this procedure...but to date, I do not have a time line from neone on this to compare or give u indications of how long the recovery was.

"selma"