Chiari Malformation Community
chiari + concussions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

chiari + concussions

I have had MANY concussions before i was diagnosed with cm, and have had 2 just since the decompression surgery 2 years ago. The last one was just a week ago.  It is way more painful and miserable than I could have guessed, what have others in my situation done? I have a less then helpfull hospital (yes, only one within 2 hours any direction) and i dont feel Im getting the treatment i need. i also dont know what that might be. please please help if you can....thanks

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

First, there r 2 ways u could have Chiari...one is congenital-from birth as a result of a malformation of ur skull this causes the cerebral tonsils to herniate and the symptoms....the other can be the result of a blow to the head, fall, MVA etc...this can trigger a dormant Chiari to become symptomatic or if there was not a malformation there, it could cause the tonsils to herniate causing low lying tonsils but u would have chiari symptoms,

Knowing which u have can help.....

Have a concussion after having surgery could cause an issue and u should have had a MRI....did u?

Once u have a MRI ask for copies of both the report and the MRI on disk so u can send copies to a Chiari specialist to review...some charge for this, other do not,,...but it is best to go to a Dr that knows chiari and not depend on Drs close to home.

There is one in CO......see our List of Drs and research the Drs on it.....
I know myself we chiarians need to watch out for our heads and necks. Can I ask how u r getting concussions? I agree with selma on this. Not to mention that u shouldn't be doing anything to cause harm to your head. Hope u find answers, Dana
This is the song that never ends
14 hrs ago by The_beat_goes_on
skrowe is ...looking for answers. Comment
Jun 23
soccero uploaded new photos
Jun 09