chiari and benign neoplasm of sphenoid sinus
In early February 2013 my daughter 17 years was diagnosed with Chiari with cerebrel tonsils extending 16mm past FM, an obstruction of CSF flow, and a Syrinx that measures 6 mm at the C2 vertabrae. Doctors have said she can wait until school is out in June for decompression surgery. Also at this time a nasal polyp or cyst was noticed. Yesterday we went to the Ent at a childrens hospital and he confirmed a cyst not polyp located in right sphenoid sinus. On paperwork diagnosis states benign neoplasm of sphenoid sinus. surgery to remove this is scheduled for mid April. Right Sphenoid FESS is the name of the surgery.I have been trying to find information regarding this and have been pretty much unsuccessful. One thing I have found is that the Sphenoid sinus is located near the skull base and also read something about the fluids around brain, Is this related to Chiari?? The ent also mentioned or asked if she has had any sleep tests or been diagnosed with sleep apnea.?????????????? Along with this post I have a call into her neurosurgeon for his response.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It seems so many issues are linked to Chiari as it affects our control center and the over crowding is all in the same space as these other organs, sinus, pituitary glad, etc can be affected by the excess CSF that builds.

Sleep apnea is something we ALL need to have ruled out....it  affects many with Chiari.

Those with Chiari are prone to auto immune conditions like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and connective tissue disorders like Ehlers-Danlos...so we should rule these out as well.

Having some of these related conditions can affect how one feels and heals after surgery so, u should find out pre surgery if these are underlying conditions.