Chiari Malformation Community
chiari and heart issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

chiari and heart issues?

some background info: my medulla is "wedged" by cerebral tonsils which are herniated 8 and 11mm and a new-ish symptom is tachycardia (over 120bpm) for about 1/3 of the day and night for no reason, and more severe dizziness / pre-syncope, and daily fatigue.  I wore my second holter monitor July 25th for 2 days, and I posted here about it:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Rhythm/heart-pauses-on-holter-monitor----not-during-sleep/show/1788082

My tachycardia episodes seem to be a bit more frequent, but I'm a little scared of the pauses that show up -- and my neurosurgeon thinks its possible that my Chiari is causing my irregular heart beat, but wants me to see a cardiologist before I see him to completely rule my heart out, which I'll do Tuesday.

Has anyone else worn a holter monitor??? what were your results? any pauses?  I'm wary of taking a beta blocker for the tachycardia because I know they can make you more dizzy and fatigued.
Tags: Chiari, Heart, tachycardia, holter report, Heart Pauses

Hi, I am aware of a few members that have had to wear the heart monitor...some have had heart issues, and some just had issues similar to heart issues....Chiari and Chiari related conditions like EDS and POTS can have symptoms similar in nature to heart issues and some may be heart issues...

It is very important for ne Chiarian with heart like symptoms to have a full cardio check up.

I had heart palps and had an ehco cardiographam  (sp?)...they went away post op....so mine were chiari related and nothing showed on the echo.....

I also have had tachycardia episodes too. Was hospitalized for it at one point. They have never found a reason so I was wondering that too. I've worn a hooker monitor before. Only for 24 hours but it want that bad, but they didn't find any results.
hello just figured it write to you i have also had issues which i thought were my heart ive had a fast heart rate for years which always would be over 100 sometimes in the 130s at times n i would randomly get chest pains shortness of breath and sometimes i thought i would feel weakness n pain down my left arm ive also been hosptialized for it and then relased the next day because they didnt find anything wrong....well the past few months it started again which i felt palpatations and chest pains heavyness in the chest and it would feel like my heart was skipping beats or double beat weird feeling, and i went to a cardiologists had many ekgs echocardiogram and heart moniters put on and doc says everything seems to be fine with my heart and said that the chiari could most likely be the cause of it all! I go bAck to my NS in oct and them i will be booking my surgery but chiari can cause many different symptoms but everyone with chiari suffers differntly but goodluck with ur app and your surgery as well thoughts n prayers are with you~katie~
I also have had to wear the monitor for two weeks but failed to keep it on. Annoyed me at night and at work so I didn't cooperate. But had echocardiogram and stress test,tho I only lasted 9 min, they said everything looked good. For I say it feels like my heart is rolling over in my chest. I have pain and simetimes shortness of breathe.heart races too. Nl says its autonomic dysfunction. Its horrible at times...chiari stinks..
I'm just back from a heart institute. I had a lot of pvc's and tach's and abnormal beats. After like 3 holters, a stess test, and a heart MRI. I had a heart procedure (surgery) to burn (they name it ablation) a few spot inside my heart. Two month latter (now) I just had a tilt table test for my syncopse, and the doc told me that my heart rythmes fall to low and that I need a pace-maker.

Most of the days I feel fine except for daily HD, and numb hands and feets, other days my chiari is keeping me in bed and my herniation is just 10 mm.

Just to tell you to keep an eye on your heart. Yes it could be chiari related, but it could also be heart electricity related.

Take care,   Drew
Is your heart trouble related to chiari, drew?
Have you had surgery for your chiari?  I was told that the pressure on the brain stem can cause electrical problems in the heart?  For some reason, the idea of anything being done to my heart bothers me more than a future brain surgery.
I don't know if it's related or not. My NS doesn't believe that chiari can affect the heart!!!
No I didn't  had surgery for my chiari. My NS want to wait and see!!! We are still waiting for my apoitment for my MRI, that was odered 6 months ago!
I have never wore the monitor, but being 2 yrs post almost in Sept it will be, but I still experience the fast pulse rate.  I take my blood pressure all the time and had my heart checked out and nothing was wrong.  I would mention this to you NS when you go and see what he thinks.  As some one metntioned above when you have blockage not going to your brain it makes you heart work harder because it has no where to go.  Thinking of you and hoping all will go well.
Lnda :)
I have episodes of fast heart rate (my monitor picked it up at 170ish while I was sitting down watching a movie). My heart generally beats over 100bpm on average. I was first told I had SVT, but a cardiologist ruled that out years ago. I've only recently found out I have Chiari so my doctor is sending me back to a different cardiologist to test for POTS and to see if my heart rate is related to Chiari. My heart pauses to (sometimes it makes me feel like I'm falling out if my body). The last cardiologist said your heart does that when it tries to reset itself to beat normally and slower.