chiari decompression surgery
I was recently dx with chiari malformation and intercranial hypertention after years of being treated for "migraines" . I am scheduled for the decompression surgery next week and am very worried because I dont know a single person that has had this surgery. If there is anybody who has had this surgery that can clue me in on what to expect, please let me know. :)                Joy                                                  
Joy,

U came to the right place we have several recent surgeries and some that have been a bit longer....the more recent r Shane99, Lovemygirls2 and Lovage.

I am sure one of them will answer ur post....in the meantime, read thru some of the other threads....

keep us posted and join us in our social activities.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Hi Joy Joy,

Yes, I had the operation this past April (7 months Sunday). I know it sounds devastatingly scary - the whole concept of brain surgery! -  but it'll be fine! My wife and I were discussing recently how we are so blasé about the whole thing now. "Yeah, I had brain surgery. Hasn't everyone?"

Okay, hopefully that will help relax you a little, now for the bad side. I get to explain what you're in for;

The operation takes a couple of hours and you'll be in some pretty bad pain and uncomfortable for three or four days at the hospital - I was there for 4 days and Lovemygirls (we had the same doctor) was for 3 - as I recall :). Usually, you'll be in ICU for maybe 2 days They'll keep you on pain killers and you can have short visitations, but mostly you'll be tired and sleep - they'll let you leave there once you're strong enough to get out of bed and sit in a chair, then you'll stay in a regular room for a day or two.

Then you come home. You won't be in any kind of neck brace or anything and you'll be able to walk in the house, but you'll most likely want to go straight to bed. The first couple of day's you'll need someone to be around, but you'll be able to get up and get around the house a little - like to the bathroom, or couch, etc. After a couple of days, you'll be okay by yourself for a few hours - I wouldn't recommend cooking or anything, but you can make sandwiches and stuff.

After that, you'll start getting your strength back. It's supposed to take around 6 weeks - 2 months to be well enough to go back to light-duty work.

It can take a year or so to completely recover, but you'll feel pretty good and quite a bit stronger after a couple of months. You may have to take some physical therapy for you neck muscles.

Just don't over do it and allow yourself time to get better.

Lovemygirls, Lovage? Does that sound about average to y'all?