chiari malformation after craniotomy

I have an 18 year old son who recently had a meningioma in the foramen magnun and cervical spine resected. In his follow up MRI they are calling out a new diagnosis. Chiari malformation. He has been suffering since his surgery in July 08 with pressure in the back of his head and dizziness on the opposite side of his surgery. Has anyone ever heard of developing this new problem after a craniotomy? This was not ever discussed in prior images of his brain or cervical spine when we first recieved the tumor diagnosis.
Please let me know.
Hi!

Chiari may have been present all along, and yet go undiagnosed.  Chiari is a too small posterior fossa problem, which can cause the cerebellum tonsils to herniate.  MOST radiologist and doctors only call the herniation "Chiari" if the tonsils are herniated more than 3, 5, or 8 mm (depends on the school of thought).

So, if he had less than 3mm herniation, it could have been overlooked.  Then, when the craniectomy was done, it may have allowed the tonsils to herniate further down, which caused the radiologist to finally make note of it.

Now, if the tonsils are herniating more significantly than before, and the brain stem has not been properly decompressed, this could cause tons of problems.  The csf flow may have been interrupted and/or compromised.  Which would cause pressure like headaches.

I think it would be very wise for you to find a Chiari specialist.

HTH!

Rebecca

i recently had surgery Aug of 08 for Arnold Chairi malfunction type II...i am a teacher at a local middle scholl and work with learning disabled students...i have not started the school year due to the fact my surgery was two days after school started...i persently taking PT/OT and working really hard at it...i get frustrated when i can't do the simpliest of things...i am trying to restore my memory so i can go back to teaching Math...i am not able to drive due to the fact it is difficult doing two things at one time and center og gravity is new to me...i was born with this malfunction...prior to surgery i lived a myserious medical path that grew more and more painful each year...my final touch was when i could no longer ride a bike, skip, jump, or close my eyes without falling down...post surgery my ears have stopped ringing (i can hear better), my vision is much sharper...as for the ADHD well lets just say that the Attention defecit is there but the hyperness has slowed down...this new me is grateful but very impatient...tell me how long is total recovery and when do you think i will be back too full time work well even part time...i do not have temp. disability so the financial situation is very stressful...can someone give me a REALIST answer
My daughter's neurosurgeon told us to look at it as a process that can take years.  If you just had surgery in August, I think it's going to be a little while before you will see dramatic improvements.

Plus, surgery is just a treatment option for Chiari, not a cure.  There is NO CURE for Chiari.  

Give your body more time to adjust to a not-compressed brain.  And remember that there will be ups and downs.

Rebecca