Chiari Malformation Community
chiari malformation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

chiari malformation

8055149?1339877163
I just found a chiari malformation that looks just like all the diagrams in my MRI but no mention of it on my report.  I have several neurological symtoms (symptoms).. When I pointed out to the Doctor he said its normal and Chiari Malformation is a birth defect and if I had it someone would have found it by now... But... No one was looking for it and when I showed him the MRI that looks just like a diagram from a Chiari website he said "Chiari Malformations don't change.. My brain can absolutly not slip out of my skull and push on my brain stem" but it is visable on the screen.  He and the radiologist say my symptoms are from the sinus infection I have... But that does not explain the lost bladder control or pain or preasure in the back of my head and neck... I just recently had a car accident and my symptoms are worse...He won't listen.. The way he discribed Chiari Malformation to me seems to be completly wrong based on all the information I have researched.. He simply did not have a clue.. He thinks it can only cause problems when it is completly herniated or like a type 3 or up He said type 1 has no symptoms.. How could one Doctor be so misinformed and how do I get someone to listen to me.. Every medical professional seems defensive and insulted that I dare to question what seems to be a complete lack of infomation on this subject...I have added a picture of my brain... I have worse pictures that show more but I am waiting to get my disk back.
Sounds like you need a new dr. If type 1 doesnt cause any symptoms how come we are suffering.....he needs to do some homework. Also if u suspect u have a chiari steer clear of lumbar punctures because those can cause complications.
I agree, time for a new doctor! It is not always easy to find someone to listen that understands Chiair but until you find the right person, answers are just very hard to find.  This guy sounds like he does not have a clue about Chiari at all.  It is a long process for many of us, this type of thing is very common for people to hear and can be very frustrating!  -zygy

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is sad, but so many of us have also encountered Drs that have no clue what Chiari is or how it can affect us, u need a true Chiari specialist to help guide u.

See our list of Drs to help u research Drs that have a clue.....