Chiari Malformation Community
diminished CSF flow - Full work-up or Sleep study?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I had a CSF flow study done last week.  The only reason the neurologist ordered it was because I asked him to.  He doesn't think my symptoms are severe enough to consider surgery.  He suggested I go to a pain clinic.

The results show normal flow anterior to the cervical cord and brainstem, but dimished flow dorsal to the cervical spinal cord and brainstem at the level of the foramen magnum.

I have almost constant, but not incapacitating, headaches and dizziness.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with intense, stabbing, headaches.  Lately I am wondering if it might be due to sleep apnea caused by pressure on my brainstem.

I am trying to decide if I need to go to the expense of going someplace like the Chiari Institute for a full work-up, or should just have a sleep study done for now?

Hi...well what u r saying is u have an obstruction since u have diminished flow.....

U need a true chiari specialist to see what is going on.

Sleep apnea may very well be paying a role- do u wake up gasping for breathe? that is one of the signs as well as someone that snores.

This is a decision u need to make, but a true chiari specialist will suggest all the testing u need, including a sleep study if they feel it is warranted...

But if u have an obstruction, u may very well have a syrinx....u do not want to let this go, it should be reviewed by a dr experienced with this condition.

JMO

"selma"
I live in Southeast Missouri.  Would you recommend going to the Chiari Institute in New York?  Do you think I should send some of my MRI and CSF flow studies to them and let them tell me if I need a full work-up?  I don't quite know what to do next.

I wake up in the middle of a loud snore sometimes, and my husband says I have been snoring a lot.  My most severe headaches wake me up about 2:00 in the morning, which makes me think I may be having trouble breathing while asleep.

Thanks Selma!

From what I am told, just snoring is not a tell tale sign...I snore and just had testing and was told I did not have precursors for sleep apnea nor did I have an oxygen level in my blood either....

I do not wake up gasping tho ...and that I feel may lean more towards sleep apnea then just snoring.

There is a chiari Dr in Nashville, that is closer to home for u...but whom u choose is  something u must do, I can not tell u where to go...call a few of the locations and see what u think ....make sure u can afford them too...not all work with insurance...TCI the NS's do not, but the NL do.....so, u really have to see what u can afford to do.

Plus u may want to look into Angel flights to get back and forth to appointments...see hte Health Pages Link page for info.

"selma"