Chiari Malformation Community
doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

doctor

Does anyone know if Mayfield clinic in Cincinnati ohio is anygood for my arnold chiari ?
Not speaking from experience, but I just read a couple hours ago on another site that it's one of the best in the country.
Did a phone interview yesterday and was told that I'd be seeing Dr Bohinski once they receive my mri results.
I was diagnosed with chiari malformation, syringomyelia and scoliosis 6 years ago after unexplainable falls. The falls never stopped. Surgery wasn't recommended and no ongoing care was given. I was told that a 7 mm herniation didn't need treatment.  2nd opinion, same thing. Problem is, no matter what their opinion is, 6 years later and I'm still having these falls several times a week. After suffering a concussion last month from one of the drop attacks, my new family physician suggested we open this door again and see what comes of it.
So, here I am nervously awaiting the opinion of Dr Bohinski at Mayfield Chiari Center.

Hi we have had several members go  to CC for Chiari and surgery...the most recent is ChiariWolfe....I am sure he will answer ur questions....

The Chiari Dr many of the other members saw was a Dr Di, who is no longer at CC or practicing for that matter.....

But from what CW has said he is well pleased with his Drs there,.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The problem is sounds like u have been seen by Drs that do not know chiari or how it can affect us regardless of the size of the herniation....U should be given a CINE MRI to see if u have overcrowding since u have a syrinx already that is usually y many of us have surgery to prevent the onset of one....the longer a syrinx is left untreated it can cause perm nerve damage....so, I am glad u will be seen by a Dr that knows chiari....

Keep us posted
Thank you.
When I had the 2nd opinion, I figured there's truly nothing that could be done.So I just live with it doing the best I can. But it has become a lot more difficult. I recently started working. Love the job, but I wonder how much longer I can go on like this. I worry about having a drop attack on the job (the embarrassment, possible injury or even losing the job).
I'm praying this doctor considers absolutely everything and takes me seriously. I have a little to care for, a family a job. I am also a teacher's aid, serve in the food pantry, served in hurricane Katrina relief and would to serve on more missions but I feel like chiari malformation is holding me back.
I was also told that,if by chance I shouldn't have the surgery, they wouldn't just leave me hanging like the other doctors but would have leads on nonsurgical treatment.
I'm praying that the trip there is worth it and that God guides Dr. Bohinski in his decision making and any treatment I receive from him.
By the way, just want to let you know that I am thankful for this online community you have. Thanks. And yes I will keep you posted
Yes my doctor told me that mayfield clinic in cincinnati ohio was one of the best in the country that does make me feel so much  better thanks for all the help means a lot to me