does mri show nerve damage or muscle tension?
I had a recent mri of my thoracic/lumbar spine because I feel fluctuating aches between my shoulder blades, as well as my arms, hands, and legs.  It was three weeks ago and I have not heard back, which usually means that nothing serious was found.  I know the easiest thing to do would be to call my doctor for the results, but for now I am just curious and this is my question:  Could an mri show muscle problems, ie tight, knotted muscles and/or nerve problems in the area? If these aches are caused from Chiari, would that cause show up on the mri? I guess I am a little afraid of calling the doctor only to have them say all is well and I will be left wondering again (which I know is better than them finding something).  Your thoughts/experiences are appreciated!

Hi, many of us deal with those same aches and pains...unless u had whip lash I do not think it will show, an EMG would be done next to see if there is a pinched nerve....if not, it would indicate the chiari is preventing the signal from getting thru....

If the muscle is knotted pretty bad it may show, but for the most part, I really feel this is chiari related or a syrinx....and if the latter that would show on MRI.

Sorry u r waiting so long when in pain, I know it is very frustrating.
Hi Selma,

Thanks for replying!  Do you mean that the chiari is preventing the *nerve* signal from getting through, and that is what causes the pain? It is just a dull ache, nothing to cry about really, but it is all new, and who needs it!!  I just want to know what's going on and what I should/can do about it.

Thanks for your good advice as always!

Heather
PS these aches and pains really fluctuate from one hour to the next.  One minute I'm thinking I should take some advil, and the next, I have gotten through it and the ache is gone.  Is this typical Chiari? I'm thinking so.

Yes, that is what I meant....

Yup, chiari pain cycles, and u can have flares, but it seem to be ever changing and y it is so diff to dx, and to know which symptoms to even associate with it.
I would recommend a good massage therapist to relax the muscle. Go to amtamassage.org and look under Find A Therapist. Good luck!
I have seen so many people benefit from a combination of aquatic therapy, which relaxes the muscles, and massage therapy, which decreases stress and increases circulation.
It is very frustrating because nothing shows up on the mri and the doctors will precribe cortisone shots and /or pain meds, neither of which is healthy. I hope you get some relief soon!

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.,

May I ask do u have Chiari Malformation, Syringomyelia, ICP, POTS or Ehlers-Danlos?

I know the therapies u mentioned can be very helpful I went to aqua therapy yrs ago, but since this is a chronic condition the Ins comp will not continue to cover it....and that leaves many of us with nothing to do....

Massage therapy is not always a good idea as manual manipulation of the neck area can actually cause more issues for those with Chiari, a retroflexed odontoid, or bulging disks in the cervical spine, or spinal stinosis.......