how long after surgery will it take to recover
Hi i have just found out i have chiari type 1 it is 18mm i need to have surgery. Just wondering how long it has taken everyone to recover after surgery i no everyone is different. Thanks
Hello Petals,

It took me about a month to get over everything but a little more time with everything else I had.  Like you said it is different with each person.  The best one to do is your body can tell you as it is going through all this.  But I am very sastisfied with mine.
My NS said 1-2 years to see full effect of the surgery.  I am 10 months post op-- it has been a difficult recovery, not due to the surgery, but to extenuating circumstances.  I am very pleased however.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I saw u posted looking for a Dr....do u already have one and a surgery date?

As frankie mentioned we r all diff, it can depend on ur Dr and how he/she does things, as well as if u have ne other conditions that may cause a set back.....or u just naturally heal slower...or have issues with pain....

May I ask what symptoms u r dealing with that u need surgery?
I have a few doctors written down but am contacting them this week. They are just nuero surgens not specific for chiari. I have been getting really bad migraines for over a year now as well as neck pain and pain when i cough of laugh. Also the specialist checked me and seems to think im numb more on one side of my body. I was also told that if i dont get operated on it could travel into my spine and paralize me

Chiari does not travel, but it does obstruct CSF fluid that can in turn cause a syrinx to form, a syrinx can cause  paralysis if left untreated,.....u do need to get testing to find out what is going on beyond the DX and symptoms u have.

Take a deep breath and relax...don't forget to exhale too....

Look at the list of Drs we have and know u may have to travel to get to a true Chiari specialist.

Know u r not alone....we r here for u : )
Could you please send a link with the list of doctors thanks Selma

Hi, I am not sure which list u need so here is a link to the Health Pages...u will find the list in here and there are links to several diff lists...one for Canada, Australia...and the main one is for the USA.....

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186