Chiari Malformation Community
im so confused with mri result

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

im so confused with mri result

hi, this is like a second language to me, i do not see the specialist until may 9th and im going crazy, and feel horrible can someone give me an idea of what its saying please......... i was in a car accident dec 21, i have neck pain,shoulder pain, recently i have really bad wiggly vision and cant focus, headaches, backaches, i feel like im just inches a way from loosing my mind, they keep passing me off to other doctors. this is part of one of the results if someone can give me an idea of what it says, please.........

There is mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis centered at the c5-6 level. No evidence of fracture. there is a mild marrow hterogeneity within the dens which demostrates increased T1 signal intensity and most likely incidicates a hemangioma, and there is no evidence of edema on the STIR images, mild disc desiccation and disc height loss at C5-6 there are slightly low-lying cerebellar tonsils,without evidence of tonsillar ectopia. 3mm left paracentral foraminal protusion with an associated annual fussure, mild narrowing of the central canal in the midline.and mild to moderate narrowing of the left anterolateral recess with mild flattening of the left anterior aspect of the cord, mild to moderate foraminal narrowing on the left with mild encroachment on the exiting nerve root.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

First, we r not Drs, but many of us do have experience with much of this and can share and offer support.

From what I do know, it sounds like u have whip lash...the loss of cervical lordosis if the first indication, and that can be painful....be careful who treats u, do not let neone manipulate ur neck, especially since u have low lying cerebral tonsils....this could be from the accident and that would make ur symptoms and issues acquired....unless, the Dr notes that ur cerebellum is malformed then u have chiari and with the tonsils being low with no evidence of ectopia that would mean u have chiari 0.

Make sure u get a CINE MRI to see if u have ne over crowding or  a CSF obstruction....but, it is possible with the right PT to help with some of the pain u r dealing with....if this triggered ur chiari u will have to keep an eye on it and have it monitored.

Some of the other issues like the flattening of the cord...I am sure ur Drs will focus on that more so then chiari....

Do see a true chiari specialist  to help guide u and to make sure this is acquired and not congenital.

thankyou so much for the information, it has actually explained alot of problems ive been having. can i please ask what the hemangioma is ?

Hemangiomas are connected to the circulatory system. The appearance depends on location. If they are on the surface of the skin, they are reminiscent of a ripe strawberry (hence, they are sometimes referred to as "strawberry hemangiomas"); however, if they are just under the skin they present as a bluish swelling. Sometimes they grow in internal organs such as the liver or larynx. In most cases, hemangiomas will disappear over time. Some are formed during gestation; the most common are not congenital, but appear during the first few weeks of life. They are often initially misdiagnosed as a scratch or bruise; but the correct diagnosis becomes obvious with further growth. Typically, at the earliest phase in a superficial lesion, one will see a bluish red area with obvious blood vessels and surrounding pallor. Sometimes they present as a flat red or pink area. Hemangiomas are the most common childhood tumor, occurring in approximately ten percent of Caucasians, and are less prevalent in other ethnicities. Females are three to five times as likely to have hemangiomas as males. Hemangiomas are also more common in twin pregnancies.

If ur s is congenital or something new u will have to wait and see from ur Dr...since there is no edema (swelling) I would assume...I know ...not good to assume, but it could have been there a long time.

Good luck
I too have a hemangioma and that was one thing they told me not to worry about so don't stress that one too much.  
Thankyou all for ur help, i was at an off ramp at a complete stop, chp says she was going over 60 plus, she wrecked her car, its been hard trying to explain the pain and symptoms, they just keep throwing muscle relaxers at me, they dont get it, i hate this, i want my life back....thankyou to all who answered, i really appreciate ur advice
I sympathize with you because I also had a car accident, like you, I am in pain from the mid back to the top of my skull...MRI revealed I have a hemangioma in the dens, this is where the spinal cord meets the head, I was told that it was very dangerous because of where the hemangioma is, it can be life threatening even with a minor trauma..I was told not to sneeze very hard or move my head drastically, so just imagine, but will be seing a neurologyst today, God willing he will give good news...  Blessings.