Chiari Malformation Community
massage to promote healing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

massage to promote healing?

has anyone gotten massage therapy afterward to promote healing? My friend just mentioned lymphatic massage and reflexology massage work to promote healing.. and i was just curious about it.

Hi...no and was told that was not a good idea post op...or directly after surgery as the whole area is hyper sensitive and u can over stimulate it.

I was told to do certain exercises to help loosen the muscles and avoid scar tissue.....

"selma"
I have to agree with Selma because I did go to a massage after surgery.  Can't remember how long after, but made sure she didn't get near the neck area, but afterward I felt worse so I didn't think it was worth it.  Everyone is different though.  Just be careful if you decide to go and please don't let them get near the neck and shoulder area.  The Dr. moved a lot of muscle's back there in surgery and if you are just post op it will just confuss your nerves more and might cause more pain.  Maybe ask your NS before going.  
thanks for your thoughts selma and linnielou. my sister in law wants to take me to get a body massage the day before. you think this will be ok?
If yu do please tell them what is going on in the neck and I would have them avoid that area.  Some massage therapist just as dr's. don't know what chairi is and you don't want them to irriate anything.  

I went for a massage b4 I knew my DX and after, and my masseuse stayed away from my neck area.....

It was just a massage, not therapy......and it felt great...so as long as that is what u do, it should be fine : )

enjoy
thank you, ladies!
MG18 uploaded new photos
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22