minimal Chiari Malformation
Hello, this is my first post here. The MRI reading was "minimal chiari malformation", when looked at by a neurologist his comments were "there is no such thing as minimal chiari malformation... you either have it or not". He said I did not have it, I have a lot of pain so wht are your thoughts on this? If I had something that did not look right to the radiologists that read it and it is not what he diagnosed, then what could it be? Anything or nothing?
Look forward to hearing from you! God Bless!  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I must agree, u either have it or not...minimal or mild these terms r subjective....what is it based on....how the  chiari chiari is affecting u with symptoms, or by the way they measure the herniation?

If u do  not have the copies of ur MRI's get them...get another opinion...and try to get one from a true chiari specialist.

What is taught in Med school is old and  out dated and it is difficult to find NS's and radiologists that can agree so it is hard for us with chiari to get a dx.

Use this link to research drs...it is not a referral....but a means to help ur research get started -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

It is best u have more testing to find out how ur chiari is affecting ur overall health...other than ur obvious symptoms.....

MRI's should be done of the cervical  spine, thoracic, and lumbar spine to rule out a syrinx, tethered cord and disk issues...u will also want to rule out other chiari related conditions.

Not knowing what ur symptoms r...it is diff to say much more.....

"selma"