mri lines drawn
Hi I am new to this community and was hoping you can help me. I have so many of the symptoms presented in this forum including intense headaches localized to the back of the head, headache and head pressure 24/7, visual symptoms, ear pain and fullness, vertigo, tinnitus, sensitivity to noise, neck pain, cognitive issues, disequilibrium. I have not responded to the most potent anti headache and migraine meds. I suffered a closed head injury a couple or so years ago and that started the onset of my symptoms. I have not done a recent mri, but have older mri's that show a line drawn over the foramen magnum (over the cerebellum). While the written report for cervical mri does not indicate chiari, it looks like those tonsils are somewhat pointy in shape and protrude slighly below the line... there are markers too. I have seen countless doctors and no one has mentioned anything. Do these lines mean anything? Are they typically drawn in standard mri's?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The lines u mention could be the Dr was measuring the tonsils to see how far below the foreman magnum they lie.....for many, they do not classify it Chiari unless the tonsils are herniated 5mm or more...BUT Chiari is not the herniation it is the malformation of the skull.

Chiari and it's symptoms can be  congenital or acquired such as a blow to the head from a fall or MVA...

U need to find out if u have a congenital issue and the injury triggered it or if it is acquired.

Next u need to find out if u have a CSF obstruction.....

A CINE MRI is how they can determine that....

Do u have a copy of ur MRI?