Chiari Malformation Community
neurosurgeons for chiari malformation-buffalo area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

because of insurance reasons, i need to find a chiari malformation neurosurgeon  in western new york area. are there any. i have to have surgery and have healthy new york- community blue.. the chiari institute in great neck new york would be perfect but the drs there don't take insurance.

thank you for your help!!!!!

christine
There is a NS in Syracuse, NY. Dr. Gregory Canute. He did my surgery in Sept.09. Hope that might help. I have been doing great since the decompression, some minor set backs, but otherwise good compared to the pain and other problems that was associated to the Chiari that I had. Hope you find a caring and understanding doctor, better yet, a NS that knows about Chiari Malformation. You have to do the research. Hope you are having a good day, and good luck. Kathy
thanks kathy for the info. about dr. Canute. Is he a Chiari Malformation specialist? do you know how many chiari surgeries he's done?

i hope you are well and thanks again for the info!!

christine
He is not a NS that only specializes in Chiari, but a NS that does Chiari decompression surgery. When I asked how many he has done, he said many. He just had a better understanding than the 4 other NS's that I saw about Chiari and all of its symptoms. When I had my first visit with him he was very understanding and let me know that my symptoms were Chiari related and didn't treat me like I was going crazy. He went into great detail about the surgery and I felt comfortable with him. That what I meant about doing your own research, because it took 3 NL and 3 other NS's before I got to him. Most say you need to see a Chiari specialist, and I agree. But it is also who you feel comfortable with doing this type of surgery. Wishing you well, Kathy
again, thank you so much for all the info! wow you are right about all the research you have to do. this has helped me tremendously and i am so thankful for your help and support.

i hope things will continue to go well for you kathy and i will keep you in my prayers.

christine
Christine,
Not sure if you are still doing research looking for a surgeon, I just happened to come upon your post...I had my decompression with Dr. Kevin Gibbons (he is with UB neurosurgery out of Millard Fillmore Gates). He did my decompression in 01,very early in the grand scheme of chiari, and he did a great job. Although I have had some other complications (I am good now),  it was not related to his surgery. I ended up needing to go to the Chiari institute for a related condition and they were very pleased with the decompression he had done 5 years prior. Procedures have changed some since my surgery but I am sure he has followed the newest updated procedures. Although you might not be thrilled with bedside manner, as he can be a little gruff, that is not really what concerns me when it comes to who is cutting my brain open... as a surgeon he is excellent. I hope this helps. Also, just so you know, I am helping a friend of mine start up a chiari support group in Buffalo, we are going to be meeting Feb. 16th. Let me know if you're interested in more details... good luck.
=) Erin
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Thanks for sharing info on ur dr...may I ask u to please add the info to our specialist thread?

"selma"
Packersmom87 commented on Attention All Mouth B...
Aug 24
punza commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Aug 16
jeanniejean joined this community
Welcome them!
Aug 14