new to Chiari
Good Morning.
I am here to say hello to all.

I received a call from my family Dr. telling me I have " LOW LYING CEREBELLUM"

So far, when I research this term, I keep getting Chiari.
Is this just a generic term for Chiari?  

I have an appointment to see a neurosurgeon on the 29th. The waiting is almost as bad as my head aches.

well that's all for today. till later.
take care everyone. stay warm :)

Theresa
Good Morning Theresa and welcome to our CM family :)
low-lying cerebellar tonsils, Cerebellar ectopia and Hindbrain hernia are all terms used to describe Chiari Malformation type 1.

It would be advisable to research any Neurosurgeon you will be attending for treatment. Chiari is not well understood by most Doctors, they dont see it very often in practice.  
Cerebellar ectopia is a term used by radiologists to describe cerebellar tonsils that are "low lying" but that do not meet the radiographic criteria for definition as a Chiari malformation, some doctors call this Chiari 0 but this remains controversial and Chiari 0 is not recognized by many Doctors. The currently accepted radiographic definition for a Chiari malformation is that cerebellar tonsils lie at least 5mm below the level of the foramen magnum. Many people with borderline Chiari have debilitating symptoms and have problems getting treatment.
You will need to have a full spinal MRI to rule out things like a Syrinx (Syringomyelia) Tethered Cord and other related conditions. One of the problems with Chiari is CSF obstruction due to over crowding, CSF is the fluid around the brain & spinal Cord and if it is obstructed it can cause many problems. A CINE MRI is a scan that will show any CSF obstruction.  

Ray
Thank you Ray.

for you quick answer.
If you were to look at my picture of my mri, that is here.
Would you guess to the Number of mm It is?

anyone else?
just going crazy waiting for Monday. :)
It is very difficult for me to determine the mm from my view as I am seeing it on my tiny laptop screen lol : )    I also am not familiar with the exact methods used by radiologists to make those measurements.
  However, I see that your neck seems to curve back rather abruptly. Did they state anything about your neck curvatures? Or any other findings in the report?
      I agree with rod, you need to get full mri's of the spine and csf flow study, but I would add to do cine mri or flow study in  flexion an extension positions so they can make sure you arnt having positional flow obstructions as well.
Good luck to you at your appointment and don't worry too much, you might trigger headache.  Stacey
Sorry, I would not be qualified to judge your mm :)

Ray
thanks to both of you. I guess monday WILL come. then I will know :+)

theresa