Chiari Malformation Community
pain behind right eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

pain behind right eye

Has anyone noticed that it's always the right eye?

I always have  had issues with my left eye...in fact most my  issues were on my left....urs may be ur right....from what my NS told me it all depends on which side ur herniation may be larger....post op we can have residual issues on that side as a result......
YES!!! My right eye drives me insane!  My chiari bad side was left so the it is the opposite side for me.  My NL is sending me to an eye specialist actually thinks it could be the muscles that attach to the eye from the EDS.
I have it as well, tho I have never paid attention to which side bothers me more....something to figure out in the future!
Many times I sit with my fingers pushed into my eye socket putting pressure on the area behind the eye...sometimes it helps, sometimes it just hurts too bad....interesting tho, I thought it was just my weirdness - sorry Viv, I hope the pain subsides soon.
Yes...
The headpain has always been ontop or behind my right eye pain for me also.

And or me the vision is worse in that eye too
Huh, my right eye is the one I get stabbing pain and flashing lights in more often...but there is more damage to my left eye than my right eye...I am being sent to an eye surgeon on Monday the 12th of Nov because my one month recheck showed the damage is increasing at a rapid rate! of course the numbness in my arms occurs more often, and legs, some in my face, my vertigo is crazy! I will know Monday how much this guy knows about the effects of Chiari on the eyes and whether it casues retinal detachment due to the pressure and glaucoma like things in the eye. My eye dr said it looked like both had started although there is a history of retinal detachment there is no family history of glaucoma.
EDS causes all of those eye issues to have you been checked for EDS ?
No, I haven't.  I'm waiting to see what NS says about the "pink flags" In that regard.
I'm hoping that there is someone who he recommends.  

I am sitting here with 2 diff pair of glasses on at one time...yup...my last eye Dr visit I was told the same thing I have heard for yrs...u do not need glasses....oh really...y can't I see....ummm.....I have 2 pair on to see to sew...that is not right....I was told it is ur age and ur eyes just do not focus the same as they use to...that was over 10 yrs ago....I was 40...comon someone has to have answers ...not sure who to see ne more...as I tried a few Dr eye drs in my area....
Can it be that your eyes don't work well together (aka conversion disorder)?  I couldn't even have my right eye alone tested; for some reason it made me nauseous.  We just ignore it, figure the correction us close enough.
I use just my left eye a lot!

Anyway, newest pair of glasses is trendy (whatever they're called) sturdy frames that don't move on my face.The titanium frames I had--yeah, very lightweight but fragile--moved out of focus too easily & contributed to dizziness.

If I had a clue I would be closer to getting it corrected....not sure all the Drs have said it is age and ur eyes just do not focus the way they did when u were younger ...u do not need EX glasses but if u want u can get those magnification glasses at the drug store...which is what I have...and I wear 2 pair in order to sew,...that is not right....how can they say I do not need glasses but I can not see...everything is blurry....ugh....crazy
Have you tried using just 1 eye?  Can you read easily from left to right?  (before surgery, my eyes were bouncing all over the place, particularly at the angle below looking straight on).
I had every eye test available, which detected nothing, but at least the eye docs believed me & were concerned,  The thought of losing my vision freaked me outmore than anything.

You might have to experiment with looking at different angles.  Geesh, the things we have to putup with.

My left eye alone is blurrier then my right alone...I always can get them to bounce if I move them to a certain position.....

Looking up or to the far right or far left always bother my eyes....they feel like they r vibrating...if that is possible....

Yeah I know, and for how long I have tried to get an eye Dr to look at my eyes,,,I went to the best in the area when I had really good ins hoping I would get  a dx or an rx for glasses..ugh....
How dreadful, I know!  My neuro-ophth called it downbeat nystagmus; there are several different kinds.   (i know you'll google).  Yes, they are vibrating.  My regular opth missed it!   And, I had no reflex in my right eye, which he also didn't check.  (that's probably why it hurts now, sensation returning.

Axtually, how could he check for reflex when eyes are numbed to check for glaucoma?!

The neuro-opth was familiar w/Chiari (TG!) & I added him in the dr list.

Of course, everything waxes & wanes in crazy Chiari land.

Oh I know.....I am familiar with the down beat nystagmus...and I had that b4 surgery, this is different...not sure how to describe it...and most exams do not have me look that far to the left or right to cause it to happen..a lot of the vision issues are better, just that I do have lingering issues and  not sure what to do about them....as I keep being tole it is not my eyes....lol..sigh
What does theNS say?

Dr. Rosner spent a lot of time looking atmy eyes, following his finger until I was weary; my pupils were 2 different sizes too.  There was a med student there that day, & he showed her.  She looked shocked.

Isn't this all just so"fascinating"?  
I go to the new eye Dr tomorrow:). Hope to hear something I don't know!
Keep us informed.  I hope it's good news.