pain
I do not not know what to do about my condtion. I have been told that I have a mild herniation because it is only 8,, and also because I have had past medical issues the neurologist and neurosurgerons here in town think that because I have had depression issues and fibromyalgia that is what is contrubting to my pain. However, I know my body more well than any other doctor would. I was hospitalized in December of 2010 for passing out they could not figure out why I was passing out. They ran a lot of test a tilt table, EEG, and took a lot of bloodwork all came back negative. They could not figure out what it was but it was defintley not chiari. One neurologist told me that if I had fullblown chiari than that would be the reason why but he said I did not have full blown chiari. I have no insurance now and the pain is terrible.

im hernated to a 9 and also was hospitalized for passing out in october 2010 they did all kindsa test and concluded that i had a nervous breakdown my heart was going crazy my breathing was crazy i dont remember the 2 weeks i was in the hospital at all...i have alot of symptoms from chiari and my nuersurgeon is doing surgery on the 2nd of may i have alot of fluid build up..my ears ring so loudly my head and neck KILL me my right hand doesnt always want to work with me i would go see a diffrent doctor if i was you! hope you feel better soon

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Shelly, if u can get some state sponsored insurance so the cost is not so high and that it covers a pre existing condition...then u really should try to get something so u can be seen by a true chiari dr.

The size of the herniated tonsils is not really the main factor to be concerned with, the width of the tonsil is more important as it can obstruct CSF flow if it is short and fat, but not if it is long and thin.....and when drs give a measurement it is always the length.....

U will need a CINE MRI to see if u have an obstruction and over crowding...this is very important bcuz u can have other issues causing pain besides the chiari herniation....ur  odontoid can be turned in the wrong direction and putting pressure on the brain stem.....there r many things that a chiari dr will look at, or should look at not just how low the tonsils hang below the foreman magmum.....

Depression, muscle pains like fibro can all be chiari as well as ur black outs......there r too many drs out there that do not have a clue how to dx let alone treat chiari....u need a true chiari specialist and b4 u can do that u need to get insurance.......or some type of coverage.

"selma"
My herniation was only 6 mm but my symptoms were horrible.  I am 2 months out from surgery and I feel much better am getting some headaches again but because I am doing to much-I think!  Good luck!