Chiari Malformation Community
preparing for surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

preparing for surgery

Hello! I am 16 years old and I'm getting decompression surgery for my type 1 chiari in 10 days! I am kinda nervous! I would like to know what to excpect and how to prepare for this surgery. How long will I be out of school do you think? How long will i be in the hospital? I know it is different for everyone but maybe some estimates... How long will it be before I can take a shower and get my stitches wet? What is recovery like? Any info would be nice! God Bless  
As you even said none of us know how long we will be in the hospital.  I do suggest you bring your favorite pillow.  It help's a lot.  We all heal so differently.  You have your age on your side and hopefully you'll bounce back quicker.  I was 48 with my first surgery.  A couple things that are very important with recovery is listing to your body and learning to REST.  Also no lifting or bending.  I felt good after my 10th day, but really tired.  I sadly had to go through more due to my body.   Just take it easy and don't be in any hurry.  I'm sure your school is aware of your sisuation and they can send your work home for you to do.  Also you can wash your hair.  My NS suggest Johnson baby shampoo.  I shaved the back of my head.  God blessed me with a lot of hair so I just put the rest up in a pony when I had my surgery.  When I came home I put a dressing on it and avoided getting it west.  Start a list of question's that you will have and this way you won't forget.  Want to wish you the best.  We are here for you in this journey.  Just look at the big picture and not just surgery.  Your having this done to help you feel better.  Also realize once you have Chairi you alway's will have it.  It is a life altering issue.  You have a full life to look forward to so this surgery is a little step for you to get better.  I have you on my chiairian prayer's and alway's remember your not alone.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do have a list of things to avoid and tips for ur hospital stay.....

And as linnie mentioned there is no way to know for sure...ur NS is better at giving u time lines for that hospital and how he does things...some have been in the hospital for 3 days while others 5 or more....

May we ask what ur surgery date is and who ur NS is?...Also what symptoms u were having that brought u to get tested and find ur dx?

It is important to know if u have related conditions like Ehlers-Danlos b4 surgery as it can affect how u feel and heal....so do ask ur Dr about this.

"selma"
Hi.i am 3 months post op now and since one month doing good.recovery is hard sometimes but u will pass it and note u r feeling better.i afterwards was not even sure if i did the right decision as of course an operation is affecting ur body but since about 2weeks i really start being able to do a lot of things i couldnt even do before surgery.i do have still symptoms,but at least i start to have life again!!!! I had to start to wash my hair and wound with a special soap from day 2.i think the first week is the hardest.ur neck is stiff,but it gets better and please remember my words!!!!  I was out in hospital within a week.and then u will be resting a lot!!!and do that...let us know how u r.ok and any questions u have.here we are
I think the biggest things you can do to prepare are get a comfortable pillow and be prepared to rest and take it easy.  Everybody is different in their recovery but the fact that you are young is good.  That will work in your favor.  I had my surgery on Monday afternoon and was home by Wednesday.  Things went very well for me.  That's faster than a lot of people fortunately.  I could wash my hair after a week or so but not directly on the stitches.  I think around 2 weeks was when I could really wash it normally.  Recovery went well for me just stay positive and have patience.  I had to learn to be lazy for a while.  :)  It's tough to say how much school you will miss.  Good luck and we will be praying for you.  Keep us updated.
I am getting my surgery on the January 25th, My NS is Dr. John Ruge. As for my symptoms: I have been getting severe headaches and migrains since I was around 5 (they are gradually getting worse as I get older). So my mom took me to an allergist, eye doctor, chiropracter, naprapath, and I got all kinds of blood work done all for each one to say I am as healthy as a horse. That was not the response we had hoped for, so we started going to another round of doctors and when I got an MRI on my head and spine. The doctor noticed that my brain was slightly herniated.. that's how I got here.
Some other symptoms I have are fatigue nasea, depression, anxiety, neck pain... ect.

Oh! And where could I find the list of things to avoid and tips? I am super new to this site:)

Thank You so so much!
And thanks everyone for your replies! I am slightly more at ease knowing so many people have gone through this surgery and are willing to encourage others about it. If you think of anymore tips for me they will be much appreciated! Thanks so much!
I am sure that Selma will be on here soon with a suggestion list of thing's you will need at the hospital.  A couple of item's I would definetly suggest are. Undies, pillow, clean pilow cases, and female product's.  I don't know if this happens to other's but every time I had surgery I started my Mentrual, so I made sure I had my own personal product's.  A family picture to look at to keep you positive was good therapy for me.  Hope these suggestion help.  It is good to be prepared as much as possible.  I know for me personally I asked my family to stay away more or less because of the nose.  I have a loving family and they would of been on me like bee's on honey.  My DD and DH and son was there, but all the other noise of people coming and going wasn't for me.  Every one is different, but my family understood.  They would come in and say they loved me and wouldn't stay long.  You want to rest as much as possible.  Your in our prayer's,  just go in knowing you are doing this to feel better and it will in the long run.  We are here for you all the way.

Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on Heath Pages...the link will take u to 2 pages of info.....there are several items in there in addition to the activities to avoid, there is one for tips for the hospital stay as well.....

If u have ne problems let me know : )

"selma"