Chiari Malformation Community
pseudomeningocele treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

pseudomeningocele treatment?

For those of you who've developed a pseudomeningocele after your surgery..... How was it treated?

read zygy2's profile page for some insights.......
I developed pseudo after my first surgery about 2 months afterwards. I dealt with it for almost a year before i had another decompression & it was said to be corrected  They go back in if I got this right with a new patch to try & close it. I started having issues again & i had another pseudo that is 5cm which is 1cm bigger than the first,. I dont think pseduo wants to leave me. Zygy  has battled with pseudo as well.
Zygy here :)  From what I have learned, there are very different approaches depending on when it appears and what it causes.  Early they are just a leak and dealt with that way, it is is lasting more than a couple months they then have to figure out what if anything it is doing.  In my case, my first pseudo was giving me positional headaches and chiari cough headache pains again.  I also could not get my neck feeling well.  I guess it is where the muscles should have gone back together so I am sure that messes with things!  My NS opted to go in and close the leak.  For me, apparently I have a high pressure issue and had more going on.  When he closed the leak I had lots of other problems and they found my first patch had stuck to the cerebellum, this resulted in a third surgery.  My MRI a few months later showed a pseudo again, they think this is because of high CSF and that unless I do a shunt in my back that I will not be able to close the dura.  I am 5 months post op this time and they are going to check on my pseudo in March again and see what it is doing.  I feel the same so I don't feel like it is going away but I also feel a bit better than I did with the first one so who knows???  Maybe in my case it was the stuck patch causing more problems.  I do still have lots of neck pain and I seem to have more balance issues but my head has had so many complications that they just don't quite know what I will have long term.  As for headaches, I get fast pains but not huge migraine type headaches and I can laugh again so overall I am happy.  I might just be living with my pseudo for a very long time.  It all depends on what symptoms they think it is causing, I know he said that a pseudo can cause pressure right where the chiari was so it pretty much creates the same situation and same type symptoms!  If you have any more questions just ask, I have been dealing with the pseudo's now for about a year!!  
What is pseudomengocele?

A pseudomeningocele is an abnormal collection of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) that communicates with the CSF space around the brain or spinal cord. In contrast to a meningocele, in which the fluid is surrounded and confined by dura mater, in a pseudomeningocele, the fluid has no surrounding membrane but is contained in a cavity within the soft tissues.
Pseudomeningocele may result after brain surgery, spine surgery, or brachial plexus avulsion injury.
Treatment for pseudomeningocele is conservative or may involve neurosurgical repair.
Thanks for all the answers. My NS has choosen to do the shunt. I am 4 mounths post op and all of my symptoms are coming back and I'm getting migraines. (which I didn't have before)