questions about titanium plates
Hey everyone. So I am hearing more frequently now that some dr's are using titanium plates to replace the bone that they remove to prevent reoccurences  of symptoms. Does anyone know how this works? I am justcurious if they remove the bone why would they replace it? Not saying its not better by any means, just that if this works then I want to make sure that this is something my NS should be doing?! Anyone have a titanium plate?
Hi...I have heard of this as well in fact I think it is a titanium mesh....

My NS did not use it as I may have had a reaction as I do have a higher risk of rejection due to my EDS dx.

The amount of bone should be very small, so u should not need a plate....if too much bone is removed and nothing is in place a condition called brain slump occurs where more than the cerebellum tonsils slide down onto ur brain stem.

The plate may be used as a sling to hold the tonsils from slipping back down onto the brain stem...as the tonsils r still there....

Not having a plate I can not say too much more than what I have read, I know a few member do have the plate.

"selma"
i have a titanium mesh plate....don't know if it is a good thing or bad, it is just the way dr heffez does his surgery.  haven't had any problems thus far, so can't complain~!
I asked Dr. B. whether the put anything there to cover that area.  He says that in some instances they use the titanium mesh, but it is not what he usually does.  

L.
I'm getting the titanium mesh as well. Dr. Oro was the first to do this. It is supposed to stabilize the head which eventually helps in preventing further trauma to the area after surgery in case you have an accident or fall etc..and keeps the brain from slumping. I guess it also is helpful in your neck recovery. Many patients are recovering faster with it I guess. I will let you know!
I got a plate durring my second surgery cause I had cerabellum slump.
Molly
Please let me know my younger brother met with an accident a serious head injury was happened.some part of bone was removed now they are replacing titanuim mesh.I am getting worry about his future.i dnt know wht to do and also after doing 1st surgery he is not able to speek slowly he got to apeek single words.doctors are saying that it will take time to get speech but one of the junior doctor said only 10% chances are there for speech from that day i am getting lot of tension about my brother.i took second opinion from the other doctor he also said it will take time to get speech i dnt know whom to belive.You people have experiance in this case please explain me about this and also wht r the things steps i have to took for his impovment.pleae answer me

Hi...I am so sorry ur DB had an accident and that u r so upset for his recovery. There r no drs here as this is a support forum for chiari malformation.

But from what I understand for injuries such as what ur brother incurred the brain swells and in order to give it more room the drs remove some of the bone....the titanium mesh is to keep the brain in the proper place as without it it could fall and put pressure onto the brain stem, causing many of the issues we with chiari deal with.

Until the swelling goes down ur brother will have diff doing some "normal" things....as the signals r not getting thru .

Injuries like this can take some time to heal....so be patient.

"selma"

I was wondering who put in the titanium plate for you and how you've been doing so far with it in place?  Dr. Heffez in Wisconsin wants to put one in because apparently the first surgeon took too much skull out.

I have a syrinx recurring now because of my cerebellar slump. More symptoms are showing up now than prior to my Chiari diagnosis.

Thank you,

Gina
I am only 2 weeks post op and my NS did design a titanium mesh that is used for the muscles.  My patch was harvested which is better for me too as I have EDS this is his regular practice.  I am attaching a link so you can read what he says about the procedure that he does:)

http://chiaricare.com/Chiari-1-Malformation/Treatment/Traditional-Decompression-Surgery.aspx
Just realized I was reading some old threads the information I shared will not help in Some of these situations
Hi - Dr. Heffez performed my decompression surgery and did use the titanium mesh plate.  I am only about 5 months post-op so I'm not sure long term what the effects are (good or bad).  So far though, I'm doing fine.  I did a lot of research on procedures and methods prior to my surgery and it seems like the ti-plate is the safest bet (unless you have EDS or other rejection issues like Selma mentioned).
  If you have any other questions about Heffez or the facilities at Columbia St. Mary's - please feel free to PM me.  : )
I had a tumor out and titanium plate not mesh put in 10 months ago. The screws have started to back out and I will have to have surgery again. Am looking for md  in Florida to do this.  I hated the plate and found stats on line 27% screws loosen.  I can verify this as a 35 y RN have seen many, I am going on blind faith that the mesh will be better. BTY was 2 in hole 4 in bifold plate for now know was a benign tumor e on 1/2 in. Constant pain never ended. If anyone knows a Florida neurosurgeon let me know.
WOW! I had a screw come lose, so much that the screen started to move and scratch/ squeak. What a horrible sound coming from inside your head! I had no idea it was that common! I had all the hardware taken out so I have nothing there anymore. The pain was resolved with acupuncture. It's expensive and I had to pay out of pocket, but I went from pain meds every 4 hours to taking none in over 4 weeks! I have only been going for 3 months. I hope you find a NS and some relief!