Chiari Malformation Community
removal of C1?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

removal of C1?

so, when my dr was explaining the process of the surgery, he said he would be removing my C1. as well as opening the dura and putting in a cadaver patch? and removing a bit more bone. is removal of the C1 standard for this type of procedure?
I don't know if it is standard, but I also had mine removed also.  I think it has something to do with the patch not rubbing on anything to cause leaks.
has the removal effected you at all? and did the removal cause the healing to take longer?
Will he remove the entire vertabrae? Wow, that seems like alot.  I (and I think alot of us) just had the C1 laminectomy where they remove part of the vertabrae.  I also had the duraplasty, but mine is a synthetic patch (gore tex). Do you know if other types of patches are an option?  I would research that more because I've read where some types of patches are easier for your body to accept, etc.  It seems like there are new innovations with that and it is a very important decision.

I only had a part of C1 and C2 chipped away to make room  for CSF to flow properly.

As for ur patch, did they rule out EDS first? As the type of patch can affect how u feel and heal post op if u have EDS....it is very important to look at B4 surgery.
MG18 uploaded a new photo
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22