Chiari Malformation Community
salma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

salma

Why does some surgeons deny surgery for patients with cm? My MRI shows that I have a 12mm decent and mild CFS fluid restriction. I have a lot of symptoms and day to day work is getting very difficult. I live in KY and don't know what to do next. Please help!!!!

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Many times the NS we may see does not have enuff knowledge on chiari to know if and when chiari surgery should be offered.Some r under the impression that a finding of chiari is incidential...and that it means nothing.

Where u checked for a syrinx?....Since u have some CSF flow restriction, it is possible that u may have one and u should have a MRI of ur cervical spine, thoracic and lumbar spine.

U also want to rule out tethered cord with the lumbar MRI.

The size of ur herniation is not the main concern, the width of it is...and we already know u have an obstruction....u also need to know if u have overcrowding too.

Next is how is this impacting ur overall health.....what symptoms r u experiencing?

U deff need to find a true chiari specialist...we do have a list of drs, it is not meant as a referral, but a means to help u start ur research for a dr that is right for u.-http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/LIST-OF-CHIARI-SPECIALISTS/show/1293483

Surgery is not a cure.....and it is possible to feel worse after surgery....so if u have a good dr, u should be asking him/her y they feel u would not benefit from surgery....not all chiarians r surgical candidates.

Please list ur most prevalent symptoms.

"selma"
Love to life ok