screw loose?
Hi im new to this page my daughter has craniosynostis and nos diagnosed with chiari they were doing a cranio surgery and done something for the chiari at the same time 3 weeks ago.  put a plate and screws in back of her head. Well at her post op appointment they found out her screw came loose in the back of her head. Has this happened to anyone here or know about it. So now she has  surgery this friday to get screw out they said its same day surgery.  Well now i think shes getting sick he said it needs done asap idk what to do any advice us appreciated :-( shes only 2 yrs old
You must be really worried.... The good news is that the problem has been quickly found and it is fixable even though this is not what you wanted to hear. Hopefully this will be a quick fix to prevent a bigger problem. Hang in there, it will be ok. Where did she have her surgery if you don't mind me asking? I wasn't aware other Drs besides Dr Oro were using the plate. Anyways, I'm saying a prayer for your little daughter and you :-) Lisa

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Yes, I have heard of the screw coming loose b4 for others....and some have choose to do different things to correct it, one had the plate removed....which is a bit more involved then dealing just with the screw.....

It  is possible that the screw caused a CSF leak and could be the reason she is getting sick....call her Drs asap and let them know.

Keep her hydrated and flat if possible.

She had surgery slc utah at pcmc idk what kind of plate it may be the same but they had to put plates in for her cranio and found out with mri  that she had chiari so they done both at same time same incision now they have to incision in back of head to take plate and screw back out. Steven Warnock and Riva cambrin done the surgery
That happened to me! I heard it is not so rare for a screw to come loose.  I had all the hardware taken out and had to have a new dura patch.  There was no evidence that the screw was loose, so I decided to have it all taken out because of the pain.  But when he went in, he found it was loose, so he took everything out like we discussed.  
I hope everything goes smoothly! She will be in my thoughts!!
Rhea
Thank u she hopefully will get it done in the afternoon she has a cough but thats it so we have to see what anesthesiologist says hopefully she is good  n healthy for surgery if not its a month out and they said the longer we wait the more pain and difficulties will appear
Well shes too sick to get it done. Can it caise damage waiting 5 more weeks tjats the next surgery date available :-(
I'm not sure if it can cause damage.  Being she is so young, you cannot ask her what she is feeling.  I could press the mesh plate and hear a scratching sound.  But that was after a few months! About 4 months after hearing the scratching sound, my pain became worse. But it was a lot longer than 5 weeks.  Keep her from jumping and jerking her head so she won't aggravate that area.  
That second surgery was much much easier for me!  I was in a lot less pain than the first! So I hope the same goes for her as well!
Keeping you all in my thoughts!!
Rhea

Hi , if there is a loose screw it may cause a CSF leak which would make her sick....vomiting etc....

I agree with Rhea to keep her as quiet as u can and as hydrated as u can...as it will help with how she feels and u do not want her to dehydrate.