second opinion
Hello everyone...Just wanted to give an update with my second opinion...I absolutely love the neurosurgeon I saw yesterday.  I filled out the numerous forms that go along with a doctors visit and gave the history of what I have been through over the last several months.  Dr. Ward was sooooooo knowledgeable and patient with me.  He went over my MRI images one by one and explained the Chiari in laymen terms.  He was very concerned about the herniation and also with the partial blockage of the CSF pathways, although the previous NS blew me off and didn't think it was a big deal.  He has ordered 4 new MRIs (without me even begging!!), to include a cine, lumbar, thoracic and cervical spine to check the CSF flow and for syrinxs. He took all of my symptoms seriously and said they are related to the Chiari.  Thank goodness I went for a second opinion.  In addition, he doesn't feel like there are vestibular issues that are separate from the Chiari and feels the vestibular rehabilitation will not help me in anyway. The more the brain falls, the more I will have to "retrain" it.    

I highly recommend Dr. John Ward at MCV (medical college of Virginia).  If you are in Virginia and looking for a specialist in Chiari...look him up!!!! He hasn't performed any surgery on me but his bedside manner and knowledge of the condition was very comforting.
It makes a world of difference when you find a doctor that will listen. I know it takes such a load off. I bet you are feeling a major relief knowing you have a doctor now that at least will try and give you the help that you need.
Take care.
Chadry
That is great news and so happy you found someone to take you seriously. He must be a very good dr. as he ordered all those tests at one time. At least you won't have to wait to go to the next step. Sounds like he is doing it all at once...

Let us know how the tests come back

Dawn
I got the call today and the tests are scheduled for July 1 and follow up with the NS on July 2...

I have recently developed a very sore throat and it is almost impossible to swallow...could this be a sign of a syrinx??
Good news on the tests getting scheduled.

How long is the sore throat bothering u??...could it be allergies?
The sore throat just started yesterday...I have never had issues with allergies and don't have any other allergy symptoms.  About 3 years ago, I had a really sore throat that lasted several months...Doc said it was reflux but I didn't agree with that because the medicine didn't help.  I just let it go and eventually it got better.  It kind of feels like that again...

Was just wondering if that is a symptom of the syringomeylia????
I guess it is possible, but u should be tested for the gerd......it can come and go...especially when stressed.....and it can take a while for the meds to appear to be working....and lastly....if u r eating something that is still affecting u can cause these issues.

Revisit ur diet....no carbonated bev....tomatoes.....coffee..dairy....there are alot that can overproduce acid in ur stomach.

Post nasal drip can cause this....and thyroid issues can also give the same feeling.

I am sure ur dr can check to see what is going on, but I would suggest u look at the list og foods to avoid in the gerd forum's Health Pages....if u need help navagating let me know.

"selma"