Chiari Malformation Community
sleep study?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

sleep study?

How many of you, (or your childrern) who have been diagnosed with chiari were asked to do a sleep study? Doing so seems so logical to me, yet neither of my three year old son's doctors have suggested it. I am so frustrated at their lack of urgency about his case!
Hi...this is a bone of contention right now in chiari circles...

Does ur DS have sleep issues?....do u know if he wakes up gasping?

This is something u should push for...it is not on the list of to do's for a chiarian and should be.

I know we have a few that have been dx'd with sleep apnea and r on C-pap machines.

Keep pushing for what u know ur child needs.

"selma"
The night of my surgery in ICU, my husband woke me in a panic because the machine went off because I stopped breathing.  I told him I have sleep apnea, some days worse then others.  I just did the sleep test last weekend and it came back negative.  She told me to be considered to have sleep apnea you have to stop breathing 15+ times an hour.

I asked to be tested, and am glad I did.  I ended up having to take the test twice, the first night I could feel my self waking up and not breathing, but a cord came unplugged so I had to do it again and slept fine the next night.

I have had several tests that have come back normal, and it's frustrating because I know something is wrong.  I just keep pushing, and you have to keep pushing too.
I had a sleep study done as part of assessing my CM.  My study was pretty inconclusive.  I'd never slept well, since childhood, so I think they just wanted to check it out, although I do sleep better since the surgery last Fall, although I don't really know why.

Sorry not to be more help.
Yes, I have had several sleep studies before I found out that my vocal cords were dystonic and way before I ever was aware of Chiari.
My vocal cords were continuously squeezing together, tightly closing off the airway whenever I was not consciously and forcefully compensating and pulling the airway open.
Obviously, I did not sleep very well... I did not sleep very well for most of my life.
I think it was about 18 years ago that I first wondered if it was normal that the airway closes when you relax. I know now it is not.

The sleep studies reported that I did not have sleep apnea. It was not until I requested the data that I found I did have 15.6 arousals/hour and only 9.3% REM sleep, while 25% is normal. If anyone has sleep study results, I am very interested in your REM-sleep%.

I wake up gasping for air regularly, but I found out that in my case it is not due to hypoxia, but it is hyperventilation. It starts in my dream when I feel like I am suffocating. I start breathing heavily, gasping for air and panic because I cant wake up. But after a while I do and then the hyperventilation stops soon after.

I used to sleep without relaxing, in a very tense way. I realized that part of my conscious brain just never sleeps because it is assigned the job of pulling some muscles to keep the airway open. It is a little like sleeping standing up.
Things improved quite a bit since I got a tracheotomy.

Here is more info about sleep apnea and chiari:
http://www.conquerchiari.org/subs%20only/Volume%205/Issue%205(3)/Chiari%20Sleep%20Apnea%205(3).asp
Oops, I have trouble reading and concentrating sometimes. Your question was about offering sleep study after chiari diagnosis. But perhaps my contribution is still usefull ;)

To answer you question, if you suspect sleep apnea you should definitely ask for a test. Doctors are reluctant to do any test unless you give them a good reason. You have to steer them and push them in the right direction or they dont go anywhere.