Chiari Malformation Community
someone with restless legs syndrom(syndrome)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hi i am not sure if my issues could be restless legs syndrom (syndrome).i have a pulling sensation in my legs whenever i rest or even standing.with more activities it increases afterwards.so anyone here with restlesd legs?if yes what do u experience?
Hi, yes I used to get this... Pulling sensations anywhere are like torture. I'm Sorry you have this pain. What activities have you been doing? When I had it bad, I lived in an apartment building with no elevator and I was on the 4th or 5th floor (i forget, but it was a lot of freaking stairs :) ).
Hi billy thanks for ur answer.i ve been reading a bit about u too,but can hardly answer as i have my arm broken.i have this constantly and it makes me feel the floor is moving under my feet sometimes.no one else has this and it drives me crazy.it feels as if my legs are swinging in the inside.to u i think u dont reakly have panic attacks...i think its ur brain sending error messages.dont think u r crazy or guilty.a panick attack doesnt occur all over again! If u read about it.i did have it a lot before surgery and do still have it...and i know its not anxiey.i feel so sorry 4 u.how r u?
....oh, when you rest, how do you position your body and do you have decent pillows? I know this sounds trivial but this may be one of those things that won't go away until you figure out what's stressing your body. Like when you are sitting or laying down try to make yourself comfortable but also try to be really aware of all your muscles and if they are being stressed. I definitely do not have "the answer" to this issue but from my experience - it seems like most pain and muscle wackiness is from brain miscommunications with the rest of the body. Also, Chiari affects the entire nervous system... I mean it's causing problems right where your brain meets the rest of the body. Basically what I'm getting to is that to fix your legs you may have to fix your chiari. (duhh to me :P )
Oops, sorry. You wrote back while I was typing (I'm a little slow in the brain right now). Thank you, I'm feeling much better :) I'm so sorry you have a broken arm :(  What do you mean when you say it feels like the floor is moving under your feet? like dizzy or what?
Thanks for sharing about your anxieties :) Obviously it ***** for us, but It's nice to know I'm not alone. Here's some rambling about it :

I do NOT think my panic attacks were caused by anxiety because I specifically felt pressure in my neck and head when they would occur. When the pressure got to a certain point, my heart would skip a beat and I would immediately gasp for air, then I would also have to move out of whatever position I was sitting or laying in and walk around.  If my panic attacks were actually anxiety related I would have started having them a long time ago... like when I lost my job a couple years ago, or when my parents kicked me out of their house last year and was living out my car and my friends apartments. My body hurt and I was tired, but I remember not having that horrible feeling of anxiety. For some reason I think my attacks were exactly the same as panic attacks but not caused by actual panic.
Is it sometimes like you have sea legs? Does it ever make you nauseous? Ive jad all of that. I get the pains in legs occasionally. Mostly its my knees. When i stand up and put pressure they hurt,or move a certain way. Some nights i cant sleep due to the pulling in legs. Let your dr know to see if he can offer a solution. They will probly say "its not related" what do they know!!!!!! Other thsn that hoe are you doing?
You are not crazy. I am goin thru the same issues
They arent panic attacks
Diffrerent but similar, lol
I sound crazy now, but u know what im saying. Im goin to a cardiologist for this on the 20th because of this very issue
I  get that all the time. And my mom used to complain of it. Everytime she would lay down, her legs would feel like they were pulling. And when she stood up she said it felt like they were watery. I haev the same thing when I lay down, I can feel the pulling, like my ankle and my hip are in a battle for my leg, if that makes any sense at all. I am sure it is Chiari related sense it can affect all of nerves...who knows what types of mixed up signal it sends to where ever.

On the issue of the panic attacks, I do know how that feels too. I get so worked up sometimes for no reason, and when I do my head starts pounding and I can hear my heart beating in my ears...and that  freaks me out. I dont think it has anything to do with anxiety. I think that somehow there are certain triggers that put me on edge, and once I feel that way,its almost like an uncontrallable fight with myself, and then the head starts. Not sure what the rest of you are experiencing with these so called panic attacks, but I really cant find a source for it, its just all of the sudden, I have this really mad on edge feeling and just one tiny thing can make it worse immeditately and once the rest of the symptoms start it freaks me out, and I think actually causes me to have a real panic attack.
hi thanks for ur answers...yes its what rahe sais basically always when i rest its as if my legs are pulled into different directions.it gives me a feeling that they swing inside. when i lay in bed it even gives me the feeling they are somehow flying like lost in space...and also when i enter a shop and queue my legs give me a woosh woosh(hahaaa...dont know if u get me) feeling plus the ground seems to be moving one feet on one plate rotating and the other one in the other direction....and sexy yes i do get nauseas from it and my legs feel shaky watery...i noticed that sometimes even when i sit it feels as if there is no ground under me and i am faling into space endlessly...i am so discouraged and quite sure no doctor will get what i am saying and there is no help...but its so annoying. thanxx everybody for listening and trying to understand my chiarian description
It might help to look at some Chiari symptom lists to see if somebody has summed up these strange feelings your having into a generally understood phrase or something. I'm sure that most of us have run into this same problem where you are trying to describe what's happening to you to the doctor and they are like "oh yeah i know what's wrong with you, you're nuts!" Good job doc, nailed it. Anywayss... I can't seem to find a decent link to one right now, does anybody have a link to a good symptom list?

Right here on Medhelp...scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the link for the Health Pages, once inside u will see a page of symptoms for chiari, that list is a minimal Drs list, we also have one as a thread Unofficial symptoms list...use the search this community feature to locate that thread.
thank you all...i looked it up everywhere and cant get an answer...by the symptoms the only thing that could be similar is the restless legs...
I think this is the one I was looking for (Check out the bottom paragraph - below the symptom list)
http://chiarione.org/symptoms.html

Have you been checked for iron deficiency lately? I know it's unlikely but a doctor would check this.